Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #31 
kimbooffmarz

Finished the last salt treatment on like nov 12th he seems to be eating but is too scared to get his food if anyone is around so not sure how much. He is swimming around ok when I'm not near him and all I notice on his fins is it rotting away no white patches or anything
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #32 
ANHEL123

Can you post the picture? I am wondering if it looks like ''C'' shape? I am thinking if he bit his tail.
If he is active and eating fine and just scared when you come to the tank i would not recommend aquarium salt, i would recommend more water changes and if you have stress coat API. Can you remind how big is your tank and how much and how often you do water changes.
But definitely if you think his tail getting worse then i would recommend salt again 2tsp/gall. But i would hold and try water changes and really stress coat and see how he doing.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #33 
ANHEL123

But check if you can and make sure he is eating though. Put food and just step away make sure he is eating. Because if he stopped eating then it another story, then i would do aquarium salt. I am not sure what you mean he is scared. Is he really just scared when you come to the tank or he just refusing to eat and just swimming a little bit and then sit on the bottom or hiding .
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #34 
kimbooffmarz

That is a picture from just after the first salt treatment, I tried to get one to compare to tonight but he is hiding. I THINK the fins have gotta shorter yet.. the edges have definitely changed shape so I can only assume its because more has gone away.

My tank is about 1.5 gallons, I am investing in a larger one very soon as I was given a couple of dwarf frogs my roommate got bored of last night. I do 100% water changes every 4-5 days, has been more recently though.

Today I tried to feed him pellets and he spat one out and wouldnt touch the rest. I later attempted bloodworms and he ate one and then ignored me and the worms completely.

The fear he seemed to have with anyone going near the tank seems to have gotten better.

Another update.. I came home this evening and was trying to get him to come up for food and he wouldnt move at all. When he did decided to move, he seemed to have trouble and is doing more of a sideways swim most of the time. Also swimming down into the gravel and sliding his nose along the glass and strange stuff like that... Quite worried now :(
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #35 
kimbooffmarz

Also, in that picture there is a major tear in his bottom fin which has now healed about 50%
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #36 
kimbooffmarz

Today he is floating at the surface. Would swim to food or eat any. And his color has faded again :(
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #37 
kimbooffmarz

This is a pic of him tonight. Fins are so bad :(

Last edited by kimbooffmarz; 11-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #38 
ANHEL123

I am more worry about his behavior than his fins. Swimming down into the gravel and sliding his nose along the glass and strange stuff like that....I think he might have external parasites. When i look at the first picture from yesterday, not sure if it just my eye, is his scales raised any were on his body?

Continue aquarium salt. Can you raise the temperature up to 84* but gradually about 1-2* - every hour?
His poop is normal color? Not white or clear ans wormy shape?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Just want to explain...
I just thinking if he got sick again maybe it was something that we didn't treat right way from beginning. So if he might has external parasites you need to raise the temperature up to 84-86*. Slowly though - you don't want to shock him with the temperature difference.The temperature over 84-86* will help to speed up parasites cycle and will fall faster. Some said it even can kill them.

I would take out everything and just wash with hot water and let it dry out . Don't put it back yet. Dry out and rinse in hot water all changing equipment after each uses . When you dry out parasites die without host. Dry out his changing cup also.

Use minimum of 2tsp/gall now and you might need to increase it up to 3tsp. Just give update how he doing so we can deside on the dosage.

If you have live plants just put them in the water with NO water conditioner for a few weeks.

Don't forget to acclimate slowly to the new water
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #40 
ANHEL123

You also wrote he swims sideways. On the picture he is not bloated. Did he get bloated? Is it looks like that he want to swim to the bottom and then go just right back like he has air inside? Is he floating on his side? The reason that i ask this because betta can swim sideways when they have sbd or constipated. But at the same time , most of the time fish with sbd or constipation would be bloated AND he is not. Just trying to figure out what makes him sick. It important because it it SBD aquarium salt will not help.

Also did you see his poo ? Just want to make sure he don't have internal parasites.

Tags
i made pie!!!, lethargic, loss of appetite, pale, pie is yummy :), sick betta, symptoms