Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 
xXGalaxyXx

Hermit Crabbies? c:

Another 'anyone have _____" thread, 'cause why not. But I recently got two little hermit crab boys (Captain Sparkles and Broseph) and am curious to see if anyone has any crabs and/or sharable pictures. l3

I only have one picture so far, of Broseph and his patriotic shell that says 'love' on it. He and Sparkles spend almost all of their time buried underground - only managed to get this one picture when Broseph came out to eat his apple, haha. Really not a fan of the painted shells (Sparkles is even covered in glitter, hence his name), but unfortunately the only active and eating crabs in the store I got them from all had bright and colorful shells. I do have some more natural shells for them, though (as you can probably see by the conch right behind Broseph, haha) so hopefully they'll move soon.

Anyways, hermit crab stuff. Share it. That is all.~ <3
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aww I love them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #3 
thekinetic

Awesome, just make sure your little crabbies have plenty of shells to switch to when they get bigger.

Ok I need to get out of here before I end up going to get another critter! *_*
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They love humidity and you have humidity.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 
Lizzie the Badger

Your guys are very cute. I own seven =3

I relate them to bettas, because pet stores give out wrong information. Some good forums are called Land Hermit Crabs, and Hermit Crab Association.

Just a tip- In the picture I see you have sponges in their dishes. Sponges are useless, they do not drink from them, speaking that they cannot suck water from it.

They're addictive like bettas! I hope you enjoy your new guys!

Last edited by Lizzie the Badger; 10-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree bettas are like a lot of things with tons of bad info le bettas and autism bettas are intelligant unique colorful and interesting like autism.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie the Badger View Post
Your guys are very cute. I own seven =3

I relate them to bettas, because pet stores give out wrong information. Some good forums are called Land Hermit Crabs, and Hermit Crab Association.

Just a tip- In the picture I see you have sponges in their dishes. Sponges are useless, they do not drink from them, speaking that they cannot suck water from it.

They're addictive like bettas! I hope you enjoy your new guys!

Thanks for these links Lizzie! I've been working on animal care sheets for my work and like to use reputable websites as my sources. This helps me out a lot
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
Lizzie the Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskandbowl View Post
Thanks for these links Lizzie! I've been working on animal care sheets for my work and like to use reputable websites as my sources. This helps me out a lot
No problem. =3 I'm really fond of the little guys!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
Jessie1990

I have two large hermies. They are quite active at night, but I think one currently went down to molt. This will be the first winter I have them so I had to go out and get a heater... I may be replacing it soon because it's a bit small and doesn't heat the tank much. I didn't research before I got the hermit crab one and people on HCA said to get the biggest one that will fit on the back. My crabs switched shells a lot when I first got them but I think they have found ones they like finally.

Fred is a very social guy and likes to play on my arms and run around the computer room. George is not so friendly. He shuts himself in his shell still if I move too fast, which is fine. He doesn't like to be held (he will start chirping if I pick him up) I love that they have completely opposite personalities because I can tell which one is which when they change shells.

I am hoping to upgrade their tank soon because they don't have many toys for entertainment.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 
xXGalaxyXx

Thank you for all the responses, guys! These guys are really such cuties. Broseph and Sparkles are still doing good - I've moved them from their kritter keeper quarantines into a 10 gallon tank, and they're loving it. Both have thankfully changed into more natural looking shells...I think they're a lot cuter without all the colors and glitter everywhere, haha. Broseph is still his antisocial self, but Sparkles seems to be getting more friendly - when he sees me, he comes over and greets me at the side of the tank, so cute <3 He also seems to like crawling around on me...whenever I take the food or water bowls out to change it he waddles over and tries to make his way onto my fingers.
Thank you so much for the links as well, Lizzie, and the tips about the sponges - both were very helpful! And your crabs sound adorable, Jessie...I think mine are starting to have similar 'opposite personalities' too.. it's too cute, haha.
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote