Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Who's got a hamster? :D pics and homes

Been wondering who has got a hamster :D

Show pics! Also I wanna see their homes as well, I know there's really cool ones out there :)

I have a robo, but right now it's too fast for me to take a pic.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
Neil D

I have a guinea pig. Only vaguely related, but I'm going to make a C&C cage for him soon. (Long overdue.) Post some pics of your hamster.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 
Gracie8890

I used to have a hammie. Mine was also a robo. She died of cancer tho. Rip sugar :'(
Attached Images

Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #4 
Gracie8890

More pics
Attached Images

Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have a campbells russian dwarf. I'll upload pics later. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

I used to have a male Syrian named Buddy.....but he died of brain compression. You see, if you have wire on your cage and your hamster chews violently on the wire (it just means he needs more exercise, a much bigger cage, and more chew toys), his teeth will be pushed upward. Not only will they bleed (you won't see the blood since he'll swallow it) but they can eventually be pushed up so far in his head that they will press against his brain and eventually kill him.
That's why I never got more hamsters....I was just too depressed that those stupid CritterTrail cages kill animals....especially because they need 360 sq inches of room and none of the commercial cages sell them that big....
But I'm getting a Russian Dwarf or Winter White sometime soon, I just can't bear not having a little rodent.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
I used to have a male Syrian named Buddy.....but he died of brain compression. You see, if you have wire on your cage and your hamster chews violently on the wire (it just means he needs more exercise, a much bigger cage, and more chew toys), his teeth will be pushed upward. Not only will they bleed (you won't see the blood since he'll swallow it) but they can eventually be pushed up so far in his head that they will press against his brain and eventually kill him.
That's why I never got more hamsters....I was just too depressed that those stupid CritterTrail cages kill animals....especially because they need 360 sq inches of room and none of the commercial cages sell them that big....
But I'm getting a Russian Dwarf or Winter White sometime soon, I just can't bear not having a little rodent.
If I had one I'd get a tank for it and make up a play area there.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Habitrails are good too, as long as you have a large enough set-up. And with a lot of play-time you don't need a huge amount of space.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
asukabetta

Here are pictures:

This was my ex-russian dwarf hamster, he died of old age Q_Q he had a habit of using the cage as a jungle gym.

"Spider hamster, spider hamster, does what a spider hamster can..."

Then here are pictures of my new robo dwarf hamster, Hamlet, he's so small, he is barely a few weeks old I was told.

He discovered the wheel, he had no idea what it was for, but after spinning off it a few times he loves it and is learning how to run in it without falling out lol XD

This is his cage...

Been wondering if to get him something like this instead, but it's like 40 euros :/ so pricey and about the same size, looks hellish to clean too... and plastic cages to tend to keep in the stink if they don't aerate well...

http://www.theonlinepetstore.co.uk/p...ster-Ball-1795

Or I could opt in getting a play pen with toys and take him out everyday for a few hours, it would give me time to bond with the robo, since I know they need to be tamed first before they can start trusting you and taking treats from your hand.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hamster-indoo...-/261037980255

Or hand make it like so:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charmec/6980403796/

tell me what you think!!! Should I get a play pen with LOTS AND LOTS of toys, or something like that cage but no play pen. Can only afford one at the moment XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

Hamsters? Why didn't you say so? LOL

Here is my syrian, Holly. She lives in a 29 gallon tank. I would love to put her in a larger, more size appropriate tank, but alas, I have no room for one.

And here are the robos, Chibiusa and her sister, Kousagi. They used to live together in a 110 quart bin cage, as pictured below, but they had to be separated due to their constant squabbling and I moved Kousagi to the Habitrail Ovo setup, also pictured below. Excuse the state of the bin cage, as I have yet to clean it this week.

TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote