Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #31 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1010 View Post
Wow Aokashi! I love your 2.5 gal tank. But what are all the plants you have in it? And what is the floating plant? How do you keep all those plants healthy?

Lisa

Lol, it's not hard at all, you just need a bright daylight bulb :) The tank is the cumulative work over the past 6 months. I really had fun with it, and slowly collecting different plants.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #32 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajames05 View Post
My dad had a betta in a glass bowl on his desk for almost 3 years. He changed the water out about every 5 days and didn't have a heater or anything. It was the happiest little fish ever. Im sorry to disappoint yall but I don't have room for a 10 gallon tank. I took 1 betta out of this split tank and got a glass bowl for it, my gf is going to take that one to her place. I might look into getting a 1 gallon or 5 gallon tank but as of now this little guy is doing fine.
Betta's are suppose to live 5-7 years, some even 10. 3 years is very young for them to die. Sort of shows how good those conditions truly were. I think a 2.5 with a heater would be perfect for a fish though. I know you think they don't need one but these are tropical fish. Heaters are pretty cheap on Amazon especially for smaller tanks. Good thing you removed them from the same tank though. I really don't think those tanks should be sold, in the UK they are illegal and that is for good reason. Here in American companies are too greedy to care about animals welfare and sadly the only ones who suffer are the animals.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #33 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Betta's are suppose to live 5-7 years, some even 10. 3 years is very young for them to die. Sort of shows how good those conditions truly were. I think a 2.5 with a heater would be perfect for a fish though. I know you think they don't need one but these are tropical fish. Heaters are pretty cheap on Amazon especially for smaller tanks. Good thing you removed them from the same tank though. I really don't think those tanks should be sold, in the UK they are illegal and that is for good reason. Here in American companies are too greedy to care about animals welfare and sadly the only ones who suffer are the animals.
Not to mention that the law excluded fish from being defined as "animals" under their animal abuse laws.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #34 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Not to mention that the law excluded fish from being defined as "animals" under their animal abuse laws.
That really bothers me too T.T I vote they get added. We don't even have real fish shelters, only people like us who rescue.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #35 
sandrac8388

There is a difference between a betta being "fine" in a bowl and a betta thriving under proper conditions. The least you should do is buy a heater for each of them and do the proper water changes. I thought my betta was "fine" too until I realized that even though he was alive and "fine" he was actually not happy nor did he look happy. I rescued a little female betta whose water was at 8.0 ammonia level. She was still alive and "fine" but now has permenant damage to her left gill.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #36 
LadyVictorian

Wow that is sad Sandra but bless you for saving that poor little girl. I bet with you she is thriving now.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #37 
LizzyP

Makes me mad when someone comes onto a forum, seriously askin for advice and pretty much stomps it into the ground. If you don't give a crap about the fish, why did you post to begin with? Don't tell me you "don't have enough space" you know why? I don't either. I moved back in with my parents and both my tanks are currently sitting in the kitchen because that's all I was allowed. If you honestly can't take up 2 feet of space for 2 fish tanks then I highly suggest you don't get anymore animals. It's probably better if you just rehome them if you can't properly take care of them.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #38 
LeoTheLakerBetta

If poeple ignore advice, I find it better just to let them learn in experience. I would definitely try to help that person and it would be sad if their betta died, but really- It's their fault and I would rather let them go their own way and hopefully they will learn a lesson or two.

To the Original Poster, if your bettas get sick in anyway, you will need a larger tank and a heater before posting here if you don't want a 4 page thread like this. Those tanks labeled betta tanks, are usually wayy undersized and can accumulate a lot of ammonia. I wish they would stop making them so people would not get misled about betta care.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #39 
pittipuppylove

Hey, fellow college student and bio major!

As Ao and the others have already said, you're going to do what you're going to do. But I'll also add that a somewhat larger tank that's filtered and heated is going to be easier to take care of in the long run, which can be a big plus during finals week (aka Hell Week). My fully planted and cycled 5.5 gallon takes up little room (seriously, it's not that big - my bio textbooks take up more room than that 5.5) and only needs one 50% water change a week to maintain water perameters well within a safe range. And right now, Petsmart has a sale on a 5.5 gallon kit that comes with a filter, hood, and light for a little over $25 - all you'd have to do is divide it for the two bettas and add a heater.

I recently moved a betta from an unheated 1 gallon hex tank at my work to a heated, filtered, fully planted 5.5 gallon, and everyone - including the people who believed that the 1 gallon was plenty room for one betta - was amazed at the difference in the betta's activity levels.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #40 
Wendyjo

It's disgusting how some people treat their fish - I agree they shouldn't have them at all.

Bettgirl what are you using to test for ammonia, cause I believe you are using a faulty product if it's reading 0 ammonia.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote