Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #1 
Vixenfur

I think I'm doing everything right!

I just want to make sure I don't have to change anything I'm doing/if I should continue as I am right now. Basically like a checklist!

I've got three boys, one of which I've had for a year now, the second I've had for 5 months and the newest I've had for 1 month. All tanks were cycled properly before the boys were put in their homes.
Kiro and Kin are in their own 2.5 gal tanks, and Aki is in a 5 gal since he's a fin biter and needs more distractions and space to exercise. He has paper taped to the sides of his tanks where he can see Kiro and Kin, so he doesn't feel threatened from the sight of them (especially Kiro, he's very aggressive).
Kiro, my eldest, is a king betta, so he REALLY should have at least a 5 gallon, unfortunately we don't have the room so he's in a 2.5, still thriving and happy but he should get more space. I want to get him a 5 gal badly, but Aki needs to stay in the 5 gal at least until his biting stops. I was thinking of switching Kiro and Aki when Aki's fins are better, so Kiro can get more space. Do you think I would depress him if I downgraded him back to a 2.5 after his fins heal?

I feed each fish twice a day but very little each time. Kiro gets two pellets in the morning and two at night, his weight is healthy and the amount he eats is good for a big boy like him. Aki eats very tiny pellets so I just pinch a little in there and he gobbles them all up, though he begs for more sometimes I know not to overfeed him. Kin eats flakes because he has a very tiny mouth, and only a little bit because he starts getting bloated quickly. He's a little guy!
Otherwise I will mix up their foods every other day. Sometimes Kiro will get 1 pellet and a few flakes, Aki will get flakes and little pellets, etc. so they get variety. Sometimes I'll pop open a frozen cube of brine shrimp and feed them that for a few days.

I do 50% water changes once a week for all three tanks, also I'll scrub their tank walls with a clean sponge (no soap of course) because sometimes algae pops up. I change their decorations every month or so. I don't use any live plants but I do put in silk plants, and for decorations, I sandpaper down the sharp edges so their fins don't tear.

I have a testing kit that I just got because I only recently learned the importance of that, so I will begin testing once a week for pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

All tanks are heated to 77 degrees F. I put a light on each of their tanks between 7-10 pm normally but I had an issue in the past with that bright green bacteria that grows in the light, treated it and it's gone now but I'm still very cautious. All three of them are very active and friendly, sometimes they hide but if you start talking they'll come out to listen to you. They are all very cute, have bright, healthy colors and full fins (except for Aki who's fins are healing from his fin biting episodes in the past, but he hasn't touched them for a month now, and they are starting to look better).

I think my babies are all doing well- I just wanted to make sure with all of you betta experts out there that I really am doing everything right! Is there anything I can do differently besides possibly upgrading the sizes of Kiro's and Kin's tanks (since I can't right now but hopefully in the future)? If you have any advice I'd appreciate it! <3 Thanks for taking the time to read my synopsis of how I take care of my bettas.
Vixenfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You may want to test more than once a week, especially on the smaller tanks. You would be surprised how quickly things build up in the little tanks. Whenever the readings for ammonia and nitrites are above 0, change the water. Nitrates can get higher, but if they are above 40, you should also change the water.
Other than that, it sounds like you are doing a great job caring for your babies.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #3 
Vixenfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
You may want to test more than once a week, especially on the smaller tanks. You would be surprised how quickly things build up in the little tanks. Whenever the readings for ammonia and nitrites are above 0, change the water. Nitrates can get higher, but if they are above 40, you should also change the water.
Other than that, it sounds like you are doing a great job caring for your babies.
Thank you for the advice! Testing twice a week would be best, then?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #4 
sainthogan

On the little ones, maybe every 3 days until you get a good idea of how stable it is. The 5 gallon twice a week would be good, but every 3 days is fine as well if that helps you remember when you did it. I know I couldn't always remember when each tank had been tested, so I just decided to do them all at the same time.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #5 
sainthogan

You also may want to test your water source as well, just to give you a base line for what you are working with. My tap water has ammonia in it, so I use an ammonia neutralizer as well as a water conditioner.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #6 
Vixenfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
On the little ones, maybe every 3 days until you get a good idea of how stable it is. The 5 gallon twice a week would be good, but every 3 days is fine as well if that helps you remember when you did it. I know I couldn't always remember when each tank had been tested, so I just decided to do them all at the same time.
Sounds good- thanks again!