Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 
lauraannq

how to put return in a betta tank

okay i put the return horizontal in the tank, should i put it vertical...

also should the intake be toward the bottom of the tank or the middle?

Snapshot 10:26:12 9:50 PM-2 by laq997, on Flickr
lauraannq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 
bryanacute

What do you mean
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Well, is that whole bar the return?

Because if so, I'd assume to keep it horizonal especially if that's how its meant to be
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 
Wendyjo

I don't think it will matter much in a betta tank (it's just one betta, right? or are there other fish?). The location of the spray bar typically has 2 considerations - making sure there is good circulation and aeration in the tank, and helping to direct the general flow so the intake can pick up waste.

Since bettas breathe from the surface aeration isn't really a concern, and since a single betta has such a light bioload waste isn't a huge consideration either (altho plant debris may be).

I would play around with it and see what currents you can create and how they work with the betta. You may even want to position it so it's flowing down or angled towards the back of the tank a bit to really soften the current. If the current is really strong you can position it vertically near a tank wall and aim it towards one that wall to help soften it as well. This will dampen the circulation and you may get a bit more of a mulm buildup on the gravel but your betta may not tolerate anything stronger.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
paloverde

Usually the intake is closest to the bottom of the tank, the return looks to be a spray bar? Returns are usually closer to the top of the tank. If that is a spray bar i usually attach those inside horizontal under the back rim and for a betta adjust it so it causes the least current. If the way you have it set up is working out for you then it's all good!

Last edited by paloverde; 11-13-2012 at 09:59 PM.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #6 
Wendyjo

Also, the filter should have some instruction regarding the intake - in the setups I've used they instructions typically say to position it so the bottom of the tube is about 3/4 of the way down the tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I'm assuming you are talking about a filter of some kind.
What kind is it?

The intake is normally either in the middle or near the bottom of the tank and for hang on the back filters - the outflow is at the top. That has to be horizontal or wont fit on the tank. I'm confused on what you are asking or talking about.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote