Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 
flyingpony22

Powers out! Should I feed my bettas as normal?

Hurrine Sandy took out the power lines and I'm left with no power for at least the next few days to a week. I wrapped my bettas tanks with a towel and I've been adding warm water as needed throughout the day when I'm home, but I can't be home constantly to do this and I'm worried about the temp fluxuations giving them ick. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Should I continue to feed them as I normally would or would fasting them help prevent diseases? Two of the bettas seem completely unaffected by the temperature changes, but my third one is absolutely miserable and sulks behind his heater or hides inside his filter.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If the power is out, isn't the internet gone, too? The Bettas will need the food to get energy to fight off bacteria, just feed them as usually. Wrap their tank with a towel or foil to conserve the heat, the temperature will rapidly change with the warm water added so don't do it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
If the power is out, isn't the internet gone, too? The Bettas will need the food to get energy to fight off bacteria, just feed them as usually. Wrap their tank with a towel or foil to conserve the heat, the temperature will rapidly change with the warm water added so don't do it.
It shouldn't be if it is a mobile device used is like a cell phone or a tablet that has that all around coverage. Can't think of what is is called. I'm sleepy I think that's right. Someone correct me if I am wrong. :/
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, oh yeah... It's called 4G. I forgot about that. My dad and mom's phone are 4G and wherever they are, the phone can go to the internet. ^^
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Wait, oh yeah... It's called 4G. I forgot about that. My dad and mom's phone are 4G and wherever they are, the phone can go to the internet. ^^
OH YEA! 4G. Thanks. It's terrible to have such a bad memory in my 20's
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

No, late 20's isn't old. Just middle aged. (; I forget stuff when it's not important lol.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

It's recommended that you do not feed your fish during a power out to reduce bioload.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #8 
sainthogan

My smart phone will still work if the tower's power is still working. Often times, the whole town will be out of power, but everyone's cell phones are still working because the tower's power supply is separate from ours.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

No, don't feed the fish at all. Less food is less waste and less ammonia buildup. Your main concern should be keeping the fish warm.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
No, late 20's isn't old. Just middle aged. (; I forget stuff when it's not important lol.
HAHA that's funny I like that. I feel middle aged sometimes. It's funny because I remember thinking that 13 was old when I was 8 but I can't remember where my car keys are now. So your 11 does that make you an adult? I would believe it. My niece is around your age (11 in January) and you talk so much better than her. You are a very mature kid. She is your typical 5th grader that doesn't want to learn anything except how to bop her head to Justin Beiber.