Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Baby bettas and tank stuff

My next betta, I hope to either be a baby or a rescue.

Now, rescues, the care varies with what the betta has. But for babies, what do you need?

There is still a chance of me moving out next year if all goes well (i.e. I get the two jobs I want which don't require a car, I get my refunded loan, and I get my licence).

OPTION A: 4 tanks, and 6 bettas. Gallon total = 28 gallons
NEW 2x 10 gallons: (Squirt/Bubs) (Jingles/New Betta)
1x 3 gallon: (Pudge)
1x 5 gallon: (new Betta)

Option B is to get a 10 gallon, give Bubs 5 gallons, and Squirt and Jingles the remaining 2.5 each (which is about what they have now, except Jingles has 3). Pudge will go in the 3 gal. I will put the baby in the 5 gallon. And I will buy another 10 or 20 gallon for a sorority.

OPTION B: 4 tanks, and about 10 or so bettas. Gallon total= 23 or 33 gallons
NEW 1x 10 gallon (Bubs/Squirt/Jingles)
1x 3 gallon: (Pudge)
1x 5 gallon: (New Betta)
NEW 1x 10/20 gallon: sorority

Both mean I only have to buy the 2 tanks and equipment. To be honest, the 2nd option seems better since I get more fish per gallon.

However, after coming across my student handbook, I realized that the definition of what we can have in the dorm is up in the aiir.

It states this: "Residents are allowed to
have fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons"

If I can have as many tanks as possible, as long as they are under 10 gallons each, I think I might get one before the summer :)

But keeping in mind I want a betta baby, I need to make sure I have everything in case I do that.

If anyone can provide me on:
A. Any tips/info on the above mentioned about the tanks?
B. What baby bettas need
that'd be great :D

Thanks!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

Babies need the same as other bettas, only more of it. They need warmer water (low -mid 80's), more frequent water changes (they produce a growth stunting hormone that needs to be removed via water changes), and more feedings (3 times a day). Appropriate foods need to be small and high protein, and include:

Hikari First Bites
Hikari Micro Pellets
baby brine shrimp
finely chopped frozen blood worms and brine shrimp
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I see how it can be the definition can be interpreted different ways. However, I'd be inclined to believe that they allow only 1 ten gallon tank. I know from experience that when dorm rules are bent through interpretation, bad consequences follow. (mine experience is not pet related, but still, rules are rules, and in my experience, the privilege was completely taken away because of my roommate's "bending" rules)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Babies need the same as other bettas, only more of it. They need warmer water (low -mid 80's), more frequent water changes (they produce a growth stunting hormone that needs to be removed via water changes), and more feedings (3 times a day). Appropriate foods need to be small and high protein, and include:

Hikari First Bites
Hikari Micro Pellets
baby brine shrimp
finely chopped frozen blood worms and brine shrimp
Ahh that doesn't sound too bad. I'm thinking of invest in live food for my boys because I feel like Jingles and Pudge will need it.

And I already have a heater I can use, hopefully I can also get stuff for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I see how it can be the definition can be interpreted different ways. However, I'd be inclined to believe that they allow only 1 ten gallon tank. I know from experience that when dorm rules are bent through interpretation, bad consequences follow. (mine experience is not pet related, but still, rules are rules, and in my experience, the privilege was completely taken away because of my roommate's "bending" rules)
I'm having one of my RA's speak to my RD about it. I'm not planning on going crazy with tanks. If anything, I might keep the 5 gallon and get a 10 gallon. Therefore I can put the others in a safe place to be used once I move out.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

just found out I can have as many fish tanks as I want as long as they are up to 10 galons EACH.

I'm hoping that by//aroud Thanksgiving, I can get a 10 gallon and leave my 3 /1.5 gals at home.

I might go with dividing it 3 ways, and possibly getting another fish to join Pudge in the 5 gallon.

The only issue is that Pudge is kinda still under medication, so I MIGHT keep the 1.5 gallon, and load the 5 gallon up with either ONE or two more bettas :3

I gotta ask my parents permission first of course lol
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Yay!!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #7 
Alcemistnv

I asked my mom.

Will post her answer tomorrow :3
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 
Alcemistnv

so, my mom hasn't gotten back to me yet. I have a question though.

I'm hoping to keep the 5 and 1.5. I''m most likely going to split the 10 gallon three ways. This way I can put Jingles, Bubs, and Squirt in it.

This leaves the 5 gallon open for something else. Could I put a sorority in there, and if I do, how many girls do I need?

If that doesn't work, I might have to ask my mom, but I might enjoy the idea of put Squirt and Jingles in the 5, and put Bubs in the 10. I can put cories, otos, and other fish in there. OR I could divide that 3 ways and get 2 more males.

I have somany options, but which seems best?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
sainthogan

You need at least a ten gallon tank for a sorority because you need at least 4 girls and LOTS of hiding spaces and room for them to get away from each other.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 
Alcemistnv

ahh okay, so the sorority is out of the question then since I need to put Jingles somewhere. I guess I might either

A. Put him with other fish
or
B. Divide the 10 gallon and get more bettas