Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Hi courtnam and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear Marley is sick. Let's see what we can do to help him.

Have you been able to monitor his poo? If he hasn't been pooing then the bloating is most likely due to constipation. However, there's a strong possibility he has a tumor, partially because of his age. If that's the case, then all we can do is make him as comfortable as possible.

For starters, let's go ahead and put him into 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. Epsom salt can be found in the pharmacy section or in any drugstore. Make sure it has no dyes or scents. This will help keep his system moving as well as leech out any fluids that may be building up from an internal bacterial infection.

The best treatment for his fin rot would be API Furan 2. If you are able to find Seachem Kanaplex, you can combine the two medications and this will treat both his fin rot and a possible internal bacterial infection.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #12 
courtnam

I think you might be right about the constipation. I have just recently started monitoring his poop and there isn't much going on... I will go out tomorrow first thing and get epsom salt for him.
>>Is it safe to add the epsom salt and leave him in the salt for days? or am I only supposed to leave him in there for a few minutes?

As far as the Seachem Kanaplex... I searched on amazon... is this the right stuff???
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Kanapl...achem+Kanaplex

>>THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help... You have no idea how much it means to me... no matter how weird to anyone it seems, I just really care a lot about him and I want to help him through this.
courtnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #13 
Sakura8

You can leave him in the epsom salt for an indefinite period of time. With aquarium salt, which is different, the max limit is 14 days.

Yes, that's it. It's hard to find in stores and usually does have to be ordered online but it is a great antibiotic for internal infections because it is absorbed easily through the skin and gills. Other antibiotics aren't and are only effective internally if used in medicated food.

Good luck with him!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #14 
courtnam

Is it safe for me to put the 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon while also using antibiotics? Will they affect each other?? Is it harmful to the baby?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #15 
Sakura8

No, it should be fine. I asked a veterinary student who has given me a lot of advice and she says it's okay.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #16 
courtnam

Marley's mood seems to be improving! Still not eating though.... I just have a question. I just got kanaplex in the mail today and I was wondering if it is safe to use the kanaplex at the same time I am giving him maracyn/maracyn 2?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #17 
Sakura8

I would stop the Maracyn combo and give him a day's rest free of meds and then start up with the Kanaplex. The Kanaplex is a much better antibiotic to use because it is broad spectrum and bacteria hasn't built up a resistance to it like they have to the Maracyn meds.

Glad to hear he's improving. :)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #18 
courtnam

Sakura8,

Thank you so much for all the help you have given me... But now I have another question. I just went up close to check on Marley and he has a long pale white poo hanging from his tummy. I just quickly googled this, and some people were discussing internal parasites could be to blame! Is that true? Is there something I can do?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Yes, a long white poo can and usually does mean internal parasites (tapeworms). Epsom salts will help with that as long as he continues to eat - he has to eat in order to poo the worms out.

What I would do is put the Kanaplex on hold. Now we know that he definitely has an internal parasite issue, which makes knowing how to treat him that much easier. Instead of Kanaplex, the med you'll want is API General Cure. (However, it's always good to have Kanaplex on hand to deal with emergency bacterial problems). This you can get at Petsmart.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #20 
courtnam

Ok! Looks like I'm running out to petsmart first thing in the morning! I really hope this works and makes Marley all better! I will let you know how it goes :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
betta, dropsy, fin rot, ick, sick