Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 
pittipuppylove

Offsetting filter intake

My 10 gallon tank is divided to hold two males (a plakat and a HM). They've been together for a couple weeks and are still bugging each other, which seems to be stressing the plakat as his color is beginning to pale.

What I'd like to do is double divide the tank, but to help even out the filtration on both sides, I would like to offset the intake by running it under the gravel, through both dividers, into the opposite side. For materials, I was thinking either PVC pipe or clear vinyl tubing (someting like this 7/16 X 5/16 X 10' Clear Vinyl at Menards - it's like aquarium airline tubing on steroids) Would you guys have any suggestions/tips/concerns as to how to do this?

Thanks for any input!
Leah
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard of cutting a cup and having it placed on there also lots of decorations in the tank help and placing things like peace lilies in the filter help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 
pittipuppylove

The tank is fully planted and has several places to hide, to the point that I can't add more without crouding out the fish. I have done everything in my power to keep their focus inside of their own section, but the plakat is still stressed, so I plan to add a second divider to create another visual barrier. The filter is rated to twice the tank's size of the tank and have little problem keeping the water parameters safe - I don't need to increase filtration capacity, but increase the exchange of water between the section with the filter and the opposite side, hence why I'm asking advice for how to offset the filter's intake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could place a tube in the filter that leads to the other side that places water in there.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 
pittipuppylove

That's what I asked in my first post - how people have done this and if the materials I listed are safe for aquarium use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I used the small aquarium tubing at pet stores and just placed it in and built a second filter.