Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 
Billthebetta

Unhappy 10 gl. Tank?

Would a 10 gallon tank be ok for 1 betta? He is also recovering from a bad life, just now realizing how bad I've treated him, I want to make the last years memorable for him.
Billthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 
prosthetik

10 gallon would be like a mansion! I have my 3 in 5 gallon tanks & they love them!
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 
Billthebetta

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
sandrac8388

Do not feel bad for being a bad betta parent. I've been there. Every time I look at my betta's first pics I feel horrible! But then I look at how happy he is now and i just want to squeeze him! You live and you learn! ;D Here are some of my pics after I learned how to properly care. I switched him from a 1.5 gallon tank with no heater or filter and with crappy food to a 10 gallon with a heater and filter and good food and treats.

This is my betta Mufasa. I think he is prett old, but he is still kicking.
Before:

After:
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Mine live in divided 20 gals (so 10 gals each) and they very much prefer the larger spaces! Even my heavy-tailed boys, once they build up their muscles (I start them in smaller tanks and progressively move them into larger spaces so they can build up strength) and they are always so happy exploring and bubbling once they go into their big spaces. :) When I occasionally have to move someone back into the smaller tanks, they are so irritated, swimming around, fussing, doing laps...they want their space! ;)

And don't feel bad, so many of us have been there...I thought they were happy in 1 gals with no heater and no filter...My poor, poor boys. And I didn't clean their water nearly often enough....ugh. :( But, like you said, your boy is so happy now in his big, heated tank. You cannot change the past, but you've changed the future and that's all anyone can ask. :) Can you post pictures? :) Would love to see your new tank!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
prosthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
Do not feel bad for being a bad betta parent. I've been there. Every time I look at my betta's first pics I feel horrible! But then I look at how happy he is now and i just want to squeeze him!
Same with me, with my first Betta, Flake he was in a 1/5 gallon bowl & even though I changed the water once a week [which is what i thought was enough at the time] the change since he has been put in his 5 gallon is amazing!

Billthebetta; You don't have to put your fish in a 10 gal. 5 gal [about 18/19 litres] is fine & even a 3 litre. As long as you have a filter, feed him well & still do weekly water changes he will do fine!

Just dont forget if you've had him for a while he might just be starting to show some signs of old age.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 
Billthebetta

Sandracc8388 my betta looks just like your old one, and I can post a pic of him, he does not look well!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #8 
Billthebetta

I'll post a pic on my profile since I'm on my iPod
Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 
SinX7

Heck yeah! My betta was freaking out at first (Swimming all over the tank lol) and low he loves it! Plus more room for decor, etc!
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Poor guy, he is looking pretty rough. Alot of issues they have are caused by poor water quality or because they do not have a heater.
If you do go with a 10G and a filter be sure to read up on the nitrogen cycle.

These links are pretty helpful
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

If he is sick, you can make a thread in the disease section and provide info on his symptoms. Many people here are good with figuring out whats rong with a sick fish.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote