Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Betta Rescue Adoption Fees

Sort of for anyone who runs a betta rescue. Do you have adoption fees and if so why and if not why?

So far I am leaning towards no adoption fees but talking to someone I know who runs a mouse rescue she says she puts $10 adoption fees on her mice to weed out snake owners who just want snake food and people who just want a throw away pet. That way only people who really want mice look into them and then they have better care and homes. At the same time her adoption rate is low because people can go buy mice for $5 at a petshop but honestly a lot of those people either backyard breed for fun, breed for snake food, or just want a throw away pet they can forget about and kill so they wouldn't have been good homes.

It made me wonder if I gave my fish away for free would they just get adopted by people who would abuse them again? Is there a way to work around that without adoption fees? I would hate for a potentially good home to pass up a fish because they have to pay a lot for it. Besides I didn't plan to make money off rescuing and at most i will some day have a donate to shelter option to put money back into my rescue or sell shirts and hats to make more money for medication, tanks, and care. Since I am getting my first rescue today (now midnight so yeah xD) I really wanted to find my stance on price. What would be a good price for a rescue if any and if no price what is a good way to find a great home for a rescue?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Bumpity, still curious about this.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
FlyingFish47

You could give them a quiz on info in these pages, to prove they have read about betta care. Of if it's allowed, make it a condition to adopt that they sign up here? I think $7-10 is not too bad, Bettas in a pet store cost at leastvthat much anyway. And usually not in great condition
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Hmmm, having them join here would be nice. Maybe ask then about their experience with betta fish and about their setup at home?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 
FlyingFish47

Yeah, photo/drawing of setup? And maybe a week minimum of participation on the board?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #6 
Kenny G

Hmmmm in my opinion there is nothing to guarantee once they leave your table they will really provide a good home to a betta fish. You can always ask about any previous experience in fish keeping.

If I was in your shoes and I was going to charge a fee I would first explain why I am charging (i.e. housing, medication, etc.) to cover my expenses. Then I would ask for a 7-10 dollar donation. I think a true pet lover wont be discouraged by the amount. At the very least you have educated someone on the level of care needed for betta's.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

I think this is very unrealistic.
There might be someone willing to give you a donation but if you charge for a rescue, veyr little poeple will be up for it.
Why should they pay for a previously sickly fish out of a limited stock when they can go the petstore and get a brand new one they cn can choose?
Even breeders sometimes have a hard time selling their fish for $5!
If you have the calling to rescue bettas then do it because you want to and not expecting something in return when you find a good home.
Heck, I emailed people I know are good keepers asking them if they wanted one of my fish babies because I rather they be kept well than get any money for them.
This hobby has no monetary return, just the joy of seeing your fish happy and healthy.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #8 
FlyingFish47

I don't think Lady V is trying to profit, she is wondering if a fee of some kind might discourage the 'darlas' of the world from adopting... and at least fish from her would have proper recovery care, which, let's face it, is not that common in pet stores
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 
registereduser

I plan on a very small scale rescue, only one at a time. I will keep the fish if I can't find a good home for it. By browsing this board daily I should be able to find someone who wants a fish now and then, probably a kid who wants one for free but will take good care of it.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

Im going to chime in re: shipping vs. local. I think in my case adoption fees on top of shipping charges make the fish more expensive than what I could get locally. I dont want to sound harsh but that is a reality that a good home for a fish may be from someone not local. $10 adoption fee plus $12 shipping is steep. Just another something to think about. Good luck on your venture.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote