Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
So outside of adoption fees how would you weed out good fish owners compared to bad ones who just want a free fish to torture? Someone who actually has the know how to care for the fish and a proper setup and the right mentality that if the fish ever got sick again they would go out and buy the right medication for it, spendy money on it even if it was in the hundreds to keep it alive? Also that they wouldn't throw it aside and get bored of it and leave it to die, the situation i saved them from.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #12 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
So outside of adoption fees how would you weed out good fish owners compared to bad ones who just want a free fish to torture? Someone who actually has the know how to care for the fish and a proper setup and the right mentality that if the fish ever got sick again they would go out and buy the right medication for it, spendy money on it even if it was in the hundreds to keep it alive? Also that they wouldn't throw it aside and get bored of it and leave it to die, the situation i saved them from.
Aside from a home visit/vet references, like some animal rescues do, you can't guarantee a good home.

I think the homes I find will be only from this board, so maybe I will devise an adoption questionnaire for potential adopters. If I like their answers they get the fish. If not, they don't get the fish.

If the person who wants the fish is under 18 I would need to communicate with a parent.

Umm, I love fish but I won't be spending hundreds of dollars trying to get one healthy and I wouldn't expect that from an adopter either. But that's just me.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #13 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
I think the Only way..would be to ask the members here, there are most who you know you can trust, and will take good care of them, or your closest friends, providing they will be good betta mommy's or daddy's, but there is a site on F/B that we are running, called the "Forever Homes Betta Adoption Network" and you could post your offering there.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #14 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Here is the link, used to be in my sig..
This one is CandiceBettaLover's and Mine

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/428443117193326/

This one is "MoonShadow's" page


http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/329612777136751/
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Umm, I love fish but I won't be spending hundreds of dollars trying to get one healthy and I wouldn't expect that from an adopter either. But that's just me.
I mean like if the fish gets fungus they will go buy medication rather than let them die.

And I have spent hundreds on my mice's pet bills. I guess I just highly value the health of my pets and want them to live longer than the norm which my mice all did. They passed three years. One was very ill and was told wouldn't live past 1 but she died at 3 from cancer as did her tankmate, the other two were euthanize between 3 and 3 1/2, one because she had a stroke, the other two started having seizures. I guess the more you are willing to pay for their care the longer they live and it didn't surprise me they lived so long beyond average for mice (2 years). In their old age I took them in every six months for checkups.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully this will help as well with my rescue to find good homes. My worst fear if having them go to bad owners who have the 'just a fish' mentality.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 11-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #16 
MoonShadow
Member
 
MoonShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
I have been successfully running a small scale rescue for about a year now, I never charge an adoption fee, though donations are always welcome, and some people do occasionally donate. I make sure to ask potential adopters about their previous experience with bettas, what size/type of tank they will be keeping the betta in, what they plan on feeding, how often they plan on doing water changes, and who will be the primary caretaker of the fish.

I've learned that a lot of people are pretty honest about their experience. And you need to be willing to turn people down.. I had a lady who messaged me daily about wanting to adopt a fish, she sounded great until I discovered that she was planning on keeping the betta in a small bowl next to her kitchen window, I tried to educate her but she would not listen. And i tell to tell her that I unfortunately could not, in good conscience, let her adopt one of my fish.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Is adopting the fish out with a proper care sheet a good idea too? Even if they are someone who is like "Oh well I have had betta for 20 years and am a breeder."

Even just something like

Hi my name is (fish's name)

I came from (list where they were rescued and their condition, treatment plan, ect.) I'm (list personality traits, aggressive, passive, can live with tank mates, tank mates they have tolerated, tankmates to be avoided. Needs more space, prefers less space, enjoys what sort of hiding spots, favorite treats, if tail biter mention it, other strange habbits.) then go off to bring up the basics of the care they have been getting and the brand of food they have been eating also sort of things that would work best to keep that particular fish happy. Sort of lets people know everything about the fish as well as it's individual care needs.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #18 
MoonShadow
Member
 
MoonShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Is adopting the fish out with a proper care sheet a good idea too? Even if they are someone who is like "Oh well I have had betta for 20 years and am a breeder."

Even just something like

Hi my name is (fish's name)

I came from (list where they were rescued and their condition, treatment plan, ect.) I'm (list personality traits, aggressive, passive, can live with tank mates, tank mates they have tolerated, tankmates to be avoided. Needs more space, prefers less space, enjoys what sort of hiding spots, favorite treats, if tail biter mention it, other strange habbits.) then go off to bring up the basics of the care they have been getting and the brand of food they have been eating also sort of things that would work best to keep that particular fish happy. Sort of lets people know everything about the fish as well as it's individual care needs.

I actually think that is a fabulous idea!! I think I might borrow it and do it with my rescues as well!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #19 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
I think it not only helps people new to fish keeping know how to care for the fish but also people who have been in it a while can get specifics on the fish's personality. I started up one for Hollow already now that he is well enough to have his personality come thought. in short he isn't a lazy betta like he was when coming to me. This might also help new owners figure out illness faster. Obviously if the sheet says it's a high energy fish and they bring it home and it sits at the bottom of the tank hardly moving they will know something is wrong right away and if the sheet says past problems with SBD they know how to organize their care around that or if they have a past with fin nipping due to boredom and cramped space they know to get a larger tank with lots of stuff to do. If it says "highly aggressive, tankmates forbidden." Then they will know the fish has aggression issues and maybe shouldn't even be in a divided tank due to stress. Plus maybe it will make people feel less like they are getting lectured at which normal caresheets tend to feel like and more a "get to know your fish and the care right for the individual animal."

And if anyone wants to use the idea feel free to do so. ^-^ What helps helps.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #20 
FlyingFish47
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Middle East
Yeah that's a cool idea. The lady I adopted my newest Betta from told me all that stuff, she even gave me a little jar of his favourite food brand and some bloodworms for me to get started with him.
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adoption/Rescue Section? BeckyFish97 The Lounge 1 06-20-2012 11:26 PM
Betta up for adoption Bettabubble3 Betta Fish Classifieds 9 06-18-2012 05:55 PM
Do you think this betta is worth $61 after import and shipping fees? rckstr1253 Betta Chat 15 12-15-2011 05:08 PM
New Adoption/Rescue/Something metalbetta Betta Pictures 10 07-08-2011 03:11 PM
Betta Adoption? BlackberryBetta Betta Chat 9 03-15-2011 12:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.