Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Mollies get only 4.5in max.. a 10 gallon is just fine for one and a few other fish.. and prefer brackish, but not a must.. mollies and bettas tend not to have too many issues together..

He loved my sig apparently :P
A 4.5 inch fish does not belong in a ten.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #22 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
A 4.5 inch fish does not belong in a ten.
You put Bettas in a 10g and they reach 3". There are also many solutions to keeping more water volume in smaller tanks. 10g empty tanks are cheap at Walmart. With 2 fountain or filter pumps and some hose you can make it into a sump. You can also drill the tank for internal overflow or a HOB overflow.You've just turned a 10g into a 10g that holds 20 gallons of water plus the ability to move all equipment to the sump increasing tank space. I am not going to argue the value of making a sump verses just upgrading to a 20g. Just stating it's not black and white with stocking.

I am in the process of adding sumps to my 5gs. I can not put larger tanks on our desk but I have room on the floor for a 10g under each desk. In the end I will have a large filter and be adding about 7g water volume to my 5g tanks. 12g tank in a 5g space. I know I probably go a little overboard with sumps but it a solution that works for my situation.

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas average 1.5 inches with kings being 3 inches or a little bigger. Albino pelvis grow 5 inches but they need 20-30 gallons and common 75 gallons.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #24 
Myates

Again Chocolate.. it may not be "recommended" but it is doable and it can be just fine for 1 molly.. 1 molly and 1 betta swimming about a 10 gallon won't be too cramped. I wouldn't suggest adding more mid level - top level swimmers.

As long as the tank is kept cleaned, heated, proper filter, etc then I can see no harm in doing what the poster is wanting.

I can sit here and tell the OP exactly what we believe is the proper way to keep the fish, etc. Or I can sit here and help the OP be able to keep what it is they want safely and healthy. Not here to judge, here to help and offer recommendations.. whether the recommendations are followed or not, it's not up to us and it's not our job to be negative about it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #25 
Phaydra

I would rather see a fish in a loving home then rotting away in a uncaring pet store aquarium. You know it will be a better life even if there isn't total agreement on the new home.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #26 
Myates

Exactly :D Warmth, clean water, good food can go a long ways!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Oh. My. God. What is with squabbling on every bloody thread? Sounds like a bad version of bloody Twilight.

ANYWHO....

I will agree that mollies are brackish, plus they like being in groups since they are pretty social. I have owned both balloon and regular mollies, and have had them in a 10 gallon (cycled, and well cared for), then upgraded the tank to allow more room since they were so active!!! However, if you want to try it, just make sure to have a back up plan in the case the molly gets sick (they are more susceptible to mouth fungus when in fresh water), or the betta may become a victim to a moody molly All depends on the betta and the molly of course.

Not a combination I'd go with, but we're the opinions, you're the final say
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #28 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Oh. My. God. What is with squabbling on every bloody thread? Sounds like a bad version of bloody Twilight.
We do it because it makes more pretty fish avatars pop up on the left. I don't even read the threads just watch the colors on the left.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #29 
Myates

LOL.. I'm on the pc longer than normal, so I'm a bit tired and grumpy and annoyed.. that's my excuse! :P

Ooh.. preeeeeetty!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Still someday you might wake up and find one of the fish killed the other.

Tags
aggression, compatibility, crowntail betta, dalmation molly, fin nipping