Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #1 
sarav

Nami has Fungus on his Fin

Nami seems to have a little white cottony patch on his top fin. It's only a little patch about the size of a pen tip and he seems to be acting normally. Just wondering if I should be doing the 100% water change + 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt every day for 10 days or if I should just start using the API Fungus Cure. If I go with the Aquarium Salt, how quickly should I start seeing results? I don't know if I can get a picture to post because we don't have internet at home right now as we just moved into a new house. Thank you!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? I don't know the exact temperature because I'm not at home right now but I keep it in the "purple" zone on my thermometer.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two Pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, small white fluffy patch on top fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp/gal of API Aquarium Salt. Did a 100% water change and added the salt. I plan on doing the same thing tonight.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Occationally chews his fins
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought last Christmas
sarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #2 
asukabetta

I would do the treatment, but that is a matter of preference, I'd do the treatment, redose when I have to then when the treatment is done and the fungus is gone I would put a bit of aq salt for 10 days 1 tsp per gallon to make sure its gone gone. Also you can lower the temp around 75F slowly fungus thrives in warmer waters.

Perhaps its just an infection from chewing his fins. So make sure to keep the water extra clean :) Ials and oaks leaves help healing and help keeping mr bacteria and mr fungus away!

good luck
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 
sarav

Thanks asukabetta, I never got your message before because I never had internet. I'm this is the 7th day that I'm doing the 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt. How quickly should I see results from this method? There doesn't seem to be any change at all right now. Not sure if I should just use the API Fungus Cure or what. Unfortunately, he wont keep still enough for me to take a photo.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 
sarav

I finally managed to get some photos of the little guy. The little white spot at the top is the area I'm worried about. These are the best pictures I could get of him.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 
Spencerjunie

I am sure "nami" has fin/tail rot
Spencerjunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 
sarav

Hi Spencerjunie, since I have been treating him for over 5 days should I increase him to more than 1tsp/gal like the guide says? He always has stress coat in his tank, so that part is fine. I have API Fungus Cure and API Tetracycline, which one is better to use?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 
sarav

Oh, and should I even try the aquarium salt anymore or should I just start the treatment.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 
Spencerjunie

try APl tetracycliine. start treatment remove all items in tank and make sure no other fish are around. try the salt for 5 more days as instructed.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #9 
Spencerjunie

you can also try a med called mardel
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #10 
sarav

Since last night was the 8th time I've added the AQ salt + 100% water change I might as well finish off the next two days with that. I increased the amount of salt last night. I usually put in 2.5 tsp of it but last night I added another tsp. He doesn't seem to mind at all. Tonight and tomorrow night I will do the same to see if that does anything at all. If not I'll go with the API Tetracycline.

I have one question though, if it is fin rot shouldn't there be dark red or black on the edges, not white? If it ends up being fungus and not fin rot will the API Tetracycline do any harm?