Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
Jiirim

Unhappy Constipation?

I came home from a two day trip today. I had no one to care for him when I was gone so he went without food. Before I left I had added about two or three extra pellets of food to 'hold him over' until I got back and I noticed this evening that he looks constipated. (Never ever doing that again! Dumb move on my part)

He is a Chocolate betta and is really rich in browns and oranges, but now he is looking VERY pale. You can barely tell he has orange. His face, which is usually black, is extremely white/pale. Plus he hangs around the bottom of his tank and he looks a little bloated. He's still swimming around a bit, but it looks like he's having a hard time doing so and tends to rest back on the bottom after a minute or so of swimming.

I do not have any epsom salt (or any money to run out and get it) so I was thinking of using peas. Only thing is, I checked my freezer and don't have peas. What do I do?
I /did/ find some soybeans. I don't know if they could be used in place of peas.
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If he hasn't eaten for 2 days then I doubt he's constipated. Feeding a few extra pellets wouldn't/shouldn't have caused bloating. What size tank? Heated? Filtered? Water change schedule? How much water changed? When was last water change? Tank mates?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote