Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #1 
Pastel

Unhappy Constipation or Bacterial Infection???

Recently my double tailed half moon betta, pastel, was becoming lethargic. He had a swim bladder issue. When I first got him and would sometimes float at the top of his tank on his side or have issues stabilizing himself in center.

I looked it up and apparently double tails have swim bladder issues as is, so I reduced his feeding. I feed him Omega One Betta Buffet flakes(only a few small pieces) in the mornings and then a couple of freeze dried blood worms a little before turning his light out at night. He also had a run in with a plastic plant(which has been removed) that tore the bottom rear fins on him and i have been using melafix to treat them in case of infection or tail rot.

He lives in a 2 gallon tank with a small heater and a filter(which i'll be removing soon). His tank mates are 4 ghost shrimp and an ivory mystery snail. He has a few live plants in there as well as a hide away aquarium decor.

For awhile he was happy and swimming around, flairing and showing off, not minding the shrimp at all. Then the night before last night he started becoming more lethargic and just not interested in food. Today he was pale, lost his lovely pink and blue colors and looked a little bloated in the belly as well as dragging himself on the bottom he also was hiding more so than normal. He wouldn't be swimming and begging for food like he does normally in the mornings either. Every time he swims to the top to get some air he just sinks right back down. He lays on one or the other side and has trouble staying upright. He seems like he's also gasping, but wasn't as bad after he was transferred to his hospital tank. From what I gathered online it could either be dropsy(he has no raised scales and his stomach doesn't look like a balloon), or constipation. He won't eat anything I give him, and I even tried the cooked pea with the shell removed.

I've gotten him some Maracyn Two and placed a little into his half 1 gallon hospital tank and lowered the water levels so it's easier for him to swim to the top and get some air. He perked up a little since I moved him and added the antibiotic. I've heard that a little epson salt helps with the bloating, but don't have any at the moment to give him. I'm planning on giving him a 2 day fasting before trying the pea again and also hoping he makes it through all this. His little heater was moved over as well to keep him warm, since the nights get really cold(not sure if it'll overheat in the smaller tank though.)

any thoughts or advice on what it might be or advice?
I'm just more or less worried about loosing him or having him suffer.

Last edited by Pastel; 11-22-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Pastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Bloatness is cure with fasting 2-3 days, you can use Epsom salts to help them with internal issues. Making them flare helps him poop. I do not think he has dropsy. So use 1tsp per gallon of epsom salts and warm water to help his digestion

Also when you added the shrimp and snail did you QT them? Invertebrates do not suffer illnesses like fish do but they can carry parasites and illnesses on them that they can later transmitte to the fish.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 
Pastel

http://youtu.be/MMsPfKHbGT0

I posted a video on my YouTube channel over how he's been moving. He used to be the blue and pink iridescent color that you see in my avatar. I did notice a few raised scales on his sides a little, but it isn't a full blown pine cone and their only noticeable if you really stare(mostly from the bloating).

I did treat the shrimp and snail, I got them from petsmart and they were all housed in separate tanks with fish. Though not sure if something might have transmitted or not if the QT didn't work.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 
gemsbok

Kinda looks like he's gasping in the video. It's possible the the Melafix is negatively affecting him, making his condition worse. That stuff is not really meant for betta fish in the normal dosages. Maybe try doing a 100% water change and this time leave it out. Unless I misunderstood and you're only using Maracyn now. I hope he gets better. :)

Last edited by gemsbok; 11-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 
Pastel

I had been using the Melafix when he had fin rot and it improved, but now I'm just using the melacyn for whatever is ailing him. I hope he gets better too, thanks to everyone so far for the advice! Ill keep y'all updated on him.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 
asukabetta

How long was the QT? For shrimp and snails it should be about 2 weeks-3 weeks in ambient temp and 1 week with heater at 75-78F.

Lower the water level so he can reach for air easier, and turn off the filter. then proceed to IM sakura8 or Oldfishlady.

I'm totally stumped on what it could be.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 
Pastel

I just looked at him after a few hours of leaving him alone and his scales are starting to raise. I'm worried it could be dropsy now and if so, i'm not sure he's going to make it. I've tried everything I can so far and if it is that i'll be doing a total overhaul on his old tank and just cleaning everything and throwing out what is in there.

I didn't do a QT as long as I should have, which might have been the whole issue, I should have done it longer. Only did a QT about a week before introducing them to his tank. I'll probably give the shrimp and snail away after all this if they are the cause. That or the new plants I put in(he didn't show any signs of lethargy until after I got new plants for his tank). I feel awful now that I probably caused this :c

I was able to get a shot of where you can see the scales starting to raise.

Here you can see the raised scales from the side via the shadows from the light.

I'm not sure it there's anything I can do at this point for this if it is dropsy. He's still gasping and hasn't improved much and just seems to be getting worse :c
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #8 
Pastel

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
How long was the QT? For shrimp and snails it should be about 2 weeks-3 weeks in ambient temp and 1 week with heater at 75-78F.

Lower the water level so he can reach for air easier, and turn off the filter. then proceed to IM sakura8 or Oldfishlady.

I'm totally stumped on what it could be.
there is no filter, he's in a hospital tank, water levels are low and he has a heater in there as well as antibiotic. Where on IM can I reach them?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #9 
gemsbok

Aww, I'm so sorry. It does look like he's pine-coning. We can still hope, though. Have you started the Epsom salts yet? If not, I'd do that asap. It might still bounce him back.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 
gemsbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastel View Post
there is no filter, he's in a hospital tank, water levels are low and he has a heater in there as well as antibiotic. Where on IM can I reach them?
You can try just sending them a private message on the forums. Go to their profiles and click "send message" on the blue toolbar.

Tags
bloating, constipation, dropsy, infection