Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #11 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post
Since last night was the 8th time I've added the AQ salt + 100% water change I might as well finish off the next two days with that. I increased the amount of salt last night. I usually put in 2.5 tsp of it but last night I added another tsp. He doesn't seem to mind at all. Tonight and tomorrow night I will do the same to see if that does anything at all. If not I'll go with the API Tetracycline.

I have one question though, if it is fin rot shouldn't there be dark red or black on the edges, not white? If it ends up being fungus and not fin rot will the API Tetracycline do any harm?
fungus tends to be a secondary infection from fin rot or damage, I would start the medicine, aq salt is recommended for like when you finished the medical treatment with medicine to promote healing or if you are not intending to give him meds and relying on the fish's ability to heal itself, with just aq salt and clean water.

Daily water changes and medicine redosing as the meds instruct and see if that helps him
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #12 
sarav

Thanks asukabetta! I'll try the medicine tonight, seeing as how the salt doesn't seem to be working anyway. For medicating, should I remove everything including the stones at the bottom and then treat the water? I assume I put the stress coat in the tank with the medication as well.

Once I'm done treating do I start doing the AQ salt treatments again, or will that be too many days of salt/medication in a row?

Thank you so much for all of your help! I hope this clears up quickly with the medication.
sarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #13 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post
Thanks asukabetta! I'll try the medicine tonight, seeing as how the salt doesn't seem to be working anyway. For medicating, should I remove everything including the stones at the bottom and then treat the water? I assume I put the stress coat in the tank with the medication as well.

Once I'm done treating do I start doing the AQ salt treatments again, or will that be too many days of salt/medication in a row?

Thank you so much for all of your help! I hope this clears up quickly with the medication.
I wouldn't start with the aq salt, give him a few days rest too much salt is bad for their kidneys.

If anything use Indian almond leaves. They do not harm. And you can never overdose them.

I hope so too keep us posted :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #14 
sarav

Okay. I was thinking that would be too much AQ salt for him as well. Where would I find Indian Almond Leaves? I've never heard of it before but I'm willing to buy some if I knew where to get them!

He still seems fine, luckily. Still swimming around and begging for food and coming over to greet us.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #15 
sarav

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the instructions on the packet of the API T.C. Tetracycline. It says: For best results remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gals use one packet. Repeat Dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours and then change 25% of water. Repeat this treatment a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

Here's where I'm confused:
Day 1. All new water + stress coat + medicine <-- Take out filter
Day 2. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + medicine
Day 3. All new water + stress coat + medicine <-- do i replace all of it on Day 3 or just 25% again?
Day 4. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + medicine
Day 5. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + New Filter

Also, since I have a 2.5 gal tank I will have to measure out this package and divide it for the appropriate amount. I don't want to over medicate.

Thank you!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #16 
Spencerjunie

white and brown are the two most common colors of rot
Spencerjunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #17 
bryanacute

Spencerjunie, because u reccommend end tetracycline because I did to u , why don't u help her? ( Katie seriously help the girl out!)
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #18 
sarav

I treated Nami for the first time last night. He looks so pitiful without a plant or anything in his tank but I guess it's for the best! His tail fin seems to be shorter this morning and now there are holes in it. The white spot is still there though. How long would it take for that to come off? I'm really worried about.

I'm still unsure about how I treat him on day three, like I mentioned above.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #19 
bryanacute

Pm Spencerjunie, say tht se reccommended tetracycline, and ask how to use it
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #20 
sarav

The treatment for the fin rot is almost done but the white spot is still there. Can someone please tell me what I should do next?