Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #31 
Tikibirds

Do the fungus treatment for the full course. If that dosen't work, we drag sakura or oldfishlady in here.

Is it getting any worse? And he is still acting normal?

If it is indeed a fungus, the only suggestion I have is to use Quick Cure which is malachite green and formalin (some form of formeldahyde). I used it before for fungus and I know it works.

I got this from another betta site and I don't remember if I mentioned it already or not.

Quote:
Saprolegnia
Scientific name: Saprolegnia species
Common names: true fungus, cotton mold

Saprolegnia is what we call a true fungus, although it falls outside of the Fungi kingdom. It is generally a secondary infection due to an injury, parasites, viral or bacterial infections or other skin issues in your fish. This fungus takes advantage of already injured fish (or fish eggs) and infests the wounds and dead tissue. It occurs more often in fish kept at low temperatures.

This too looks like puffy cotton, but generally does not occur in a saddle-like pattern. It is more likely to affect small areas of the fish’s body or fins. It tends to have more of a hair-like appearance than columnaris. (If you’ve ever left a bit of food in the tank uneaten, the fuzzies that grown on it are most likely saprolegnia)

Treatment: Generally once the underlying condition (usually pseudomonas if on the fins) is treated, the sapro infection will go away on its own. If it does persist, effective treatment would be with a formalin-malachite green solution (like QuickCure). Some sources state that acraflavin, malachite green singly, and Tri-Sulfa can also be used
Does the white spot look like this

The one above is fin rot that also has a fungus. The black part is the rotting fin.

I know how frustrating it is to not know what is wrong or how to treat it. I have one that has clamped fins and is skinny BUT acts perfectly fine. Internal parasites seems the most likely but the treatment fo that failed.

Tetracycline - do you happen to know if you have a low PH?
Quote:
Tetracycline
Ingredients: Tetracycline Hydrochloride activity
Diseases: antibiotic, treats ulcers and open soars, frayed fins, mouth and body sores, abdominal bloat, red patches, bacterial infections, livebearer disease, fungal infections, dropsy, furunculosis
Contraindications:
Cannot be combined with any meds except for medicated foods. Very effective at low pH or acidic water condition with pH no more than 7.4-7.5 otherwise ineffective when used with salt and high hardness levels.
Quote:
you can also try a med called mardel
Mardel is the name of a company that makes fish meds like maracyn, maracyn 2, copper safe( I think?)

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-15-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #32 
bryanacute

Oldfishlady!!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #33 
sarav

I don't think it's getting any worse. He seems to be favoring the bottom of the tank now and isn't being quite as friendly but maybe this is because I took all of his plants out. He's still eating though. Here are some new pictures:

Sorry they aren't very good. He didn't want to stay still.

As for the kind of fungus, I have no idea. It's kind of in between two strands. Does that make any sense? It's the end of day 3 so there's really only one day left now. I'm not sure what the PH level is or was. I have been using the Fungus Cure which is green in color, is that similar to the other treatments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Do the fungus treatment for the full course. If that dosen't work, we drag sakura or oldfishlady in here.

Is it getting any worse? And he is still acting normal?

If it is indeed a fungus, the only suggestion I have is to use Quick Cure which is malachite green and formalin (some form of formeldahyde). I used it before for fungus and I know it works.

I got this from another betta site and I don't remember if I mentioned it already or not.

Does the white spot look like this

The one above is fin rot that also has a fungus. The black part is the rotting fin.

I know how frustrating it is to not know what is wrong or how to treat it. I have one that has clamped fins and is skinny BUT acts perfectly fine. Internal parasites seems the most likely but the treatment fo that failed.

Tetracycline - do you happen to know if you have a low PH?

Mardel is the name of a company that makes fish meds like maracyn, maracyn 2, copper safe( I think?)
sarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #34 
bryanacute

Oh. Maybe we cod c him better if you used a flashlight, or desk lamp like I do.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #35 
sarav

Well tonight I'm supposed to take out 25% of his medicated water and put in 25% fresh. The spot is still there. What should I do next?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #36 
sarav

I also just realized that in the sticky about the various diseases it says to change the water every day and add the same dosage and to continue until the fungus is gone. Instead of doing this I followed the package instructions of:
Day 1: medicate
Day 2: don't change water
Day 3: medicate
Day 4: don't change water
Day 5: change 25% of water (today)

Was it correct to do this? I see that Fungus Eliminator by Jungle is recommended. Should I see if I can find that or another type of medication? Or should I start doing daily treatments of API Fungus Cure until it's cleared up?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #37 
Tikibirds

I would think its OK to follow the instructions on the packaging. I do when I use Furan 2. The only thing I do different is I do a 100% water change instead of the 25% as I don't have a filter with carbon to remove the medicine from the tank. The stickie has alot of good info and the person who wrote it is a vet student. However, I kinda feel like its lacking alot of information as well.

There are many other medications that are not on the list although th eones listed are probably the easiest to obtain.

Now that I see a side pic of him - he is a crown tail, correct? Have his fins always been like that or did that happen after using the tetracycline?

Is it working at all? If not, we should probably look into something else but what, I am not quite sure.

Quote:
Oldfishlady!!
I think you are right bryanacute. Time to get oldfishlady. Or sakura.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #38 
Sakura8

Saprolegnia is the only true fungus that we regularly deal with the aquarium. Lots of other diseases mimic fungusi (fungi?) but aren't. I can't stress this enough. Even meds that are marketed toward treating fungus regularly contain meds that actually target bacteria.

No fin rot that I can see, at least not an aggressive kind with blackened edges and the fin falling off in chunks.

sarav, most likely the only reason the sticky says to change 100% of the water is because the majority of betta fish treatment takes place in small tanks 5 gal and under. The instructions for the majority of fish meds, on the other hand, are written for 10 gal tanks where 25% a week is okay. But don't worry, I'm sure your guy is fine in regards to the water changes.

From what I can tell, you are done with a 10 day AQ salt treatment? Have you used the API Fungus Cure? If you have, and it hasn't had any effect, then discontinue. If you haven't, then I would actually suggest something different, Kordon Methylene Blue. I've been doing quite a bit of research and this med (it is actually a chemical dye) is very versatile and is safe to use when no concrete diagnosis can be made. I would recommend using this in a rubbermaid tub or other hospital tank and not his regular tank because it stains.

Otherwise, clean and warm water and a good diet will help a lot.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #39 
Tikibirds

They have done the salt, fungus cure and tetracycline.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #40 
happypappy

Let's be clear about what you are using. If I see not results with AQ salt, Then I go to a medicine. If I know it is a fungus ----- Then treat with an antifungal. BUT I usually go with an antibacterial -----that would be one of the products like erythromycin (limited coverage) tetracycline (limited coverage) Minocycline (broader spectrum coverage). what ever brand you choose it is not the brand but the drug that you are using. Personally -- I like minocycline --broader spectrum, drug of choice for many human skin diseases, etc. It will do everything that tetracycline and erythro will do and more.
Don't get hung up on product name ----- look for ingredients.

Maybe I should do a sticky explaining this ??
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote