Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Question about Prime

So Prime claims that it can neutralize ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for a few days. Is this really true?
My tap water is pretty iffy as far as parameters go and I'm just wondering if I could add a full dose of prime everyday to make it more safe for my fish. I would still do weekly water changes, but I just want to make it safer overall.
Can this be done? Can it only work if the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are at certain levels?

Thanks
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 
Myates

Prime is one of the better conditioners out there, and you only use it once a week with your water changes.. it's hard to overdose, but it is possible. The weekly water changes will rid the water of toxins that have built up, and the conditioner will ride the new tap water of toxins.

So just use it when you change out the water and all will be fine- No need/reason to do it more.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 
MadameDesu

Really? I thought I read somewhere that it only bound nitrite and nitrate for a certain amount of time.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 
Myates

I never heard of it.. doesn't mean it isn't true. But like other conditioners I only use it during water changes with no ill effects. Have never had problems with my chemistry over the years doing it such a way.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

What are your levels that its worrying you? Is your tank cycled, size of tank? What are the test results of your tap water? I have been told multiple times that Prime ONLY detoxifies water for approximately 24 hrs but if your tank is established your BB should be clearing out the ammonia & nitrites within 24hrs so your water would be safe. Water changes, depending on your tap water, should keep your nitrAtes in check.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 
MadameDesu

My water source has low levels of ammonia and nitrate, but a whopping 3-5ppm of nitrite.
I have a 3 gal that seems to be cycled. Last water change I did a test that revealed only nitrate in the water. I did change the filter last week because the flow was getting weak. I have the floss from the old cartridge sitting with the new one though. Hoping the bacteria will settle on the new filter.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

So I understand correctly, have you done a water change, waited 24 hrs & then tested? If so, are the ammonia & nitrites being cleaned out? If they are then I wouldn't worry because your BB is doing what it should.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

Oh no no. I tested the dirty water before I changed it and it only had nitrates :)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 
BettaQi

Adding more plants would help if you have room. Especially floaters.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unless your nitrAtes are extremely high(>40) there's nothing to worry about & only adding Prime during your water changes is sufficient.