Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
SinX7

Changing water

I'm going to be changing my Betta tank water today hopefully (If not, tomorrow) How should I go about changing it? He is in a Minibow 1 with filter, 1 decor (Those Japanese tower :D) and aqua gravel (Top Fins branded) It should be a week today. So how would I go about changing it and what do I need to do?

I have the water condition and I bought the bacteria supplement yesterday. What step should I take to make the water proper for my Betta? Is there any other stuff I should buy? or those two is fine?

Thanks! :D
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
shellieca

With a tank that small I wouldn't use it because you should do a 100% change once a week, IMO. When I had my Bettas in 1g containers, I'd run water into a container the night before & let it sit a minimum of 12 hrs, right before I did the water change I'd add the water conditioner to it, I'd put the Betta in a cup with its tank water, dump all the water out ofmthe tank, rinse everything (not using hot water), put eberything back, refill with the conditioned water, then put my Betta back in. Others may have a little different advice.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
sainthogan

shellieca has good advice on how to do water changes. Here is a helpful link on how often to do water changes based on tank size and filter or no filter http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

A good investment would be a gravel vacuum. I first turn off the heater and filter if there is a filter, and then cup my betta. Then I suck all the water out into a bucket, and then dump it outside. To put water back in a try to get my tap water close to 78 degrees F, add conditioner, then put it in the tank. Once thats done I turn on filter, wait maybe 5 minutes for heater to acclimate (my heater instructions), then turn on the heater. If the heater turns on I wait till it turns off; once its off I put my betta back in his tank. Sounds like a lot but it isn't that much.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #5 
SinX7

Thanks everyone! Successfully changed my tank water and added 2 more plant decor :D
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #6 
Myates

Lots of info flying around.. the link is going to be your best bet on how often to clean the tank you have. You can clean too much and cause health problems with your fish down the road, just as if you hadn't cleaned enough.

On a side note- water conditioners work instantly so there is no reason to keep water out for any length of time. As long as your conditioner takes care of ammonia, chlorine than you can just go straight from tap. Try to make sure the temp is roughly the same as the tank's temp to help reduce much fluctuation.

Congrats!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

Do you have any idea if your tank is cycled or not? Do you have a master test kit? If you're not going to cycle it then just get rid of the filter. If you do want to cycle it then you need to monitor it closely until the cycle is done.

Also, if you're not gonna cycle it you're going to have to change the water more often than once a week in that small of a tank. At least twice a week would be my guess, altho again you really need a test kit for ammonia to know for sure when to change it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #8 
Myates

A 1 gallon won't cycle, and there really is no need for a test kit as you would be doing 2x weekly water changes (partial both times if you have a filter).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 
Wendyjo

The best way to know when to change the water is to test it. Do a 100% change, then test it each day. On the day that you get an ammonia reading - say it's day 4 - then you know that to keep the tank healthy you need to do a 100% water change by day 3. Monitor it this way for a week or so and you will get a very good idea of the ideal water change schedule for your individual betta.

There is no way that anyone else can tell you how often to change the water - it depends on the individual fish, how much it's fed, what it's fed, etc.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 
Juicebox

is it always best to cup the fish when changing the water??

i have been cupping my betta and putting tap water straight into the tank,then i put conditioner into the tank, turn back on heater and filter then mayb after 20 mins i put the betta back in, is this a good way of doing it??

what happens in a community tank when you have tetras frogs and a sorority or different specied of fish, do u have to cup every fish or leave some in? will pouring in water from the tap on top of fish not shock and possibly kill them?
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote