Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #11 
vilmarisv

To determined quality you have to compare fish to established standards in which case your fish will not be of good quality.
Will they be petstore quality? Probably, because most petstore fish are bad quality.
First of all, combining tail types is a bad idea. You will get messy fins. Saying that you would get combtails is wrong, you will get delta fry with uneven web reductions.
Your female looks in no condition of spawning. She looks very small and thin. If you decide you're going to spawn her anyway, please give her a couple of months of good food and top water conditions to put some weight in her.
Your male is also not in spawning condition because he's sick with finrot.
Spawning takes a lot out of a pair and they must be at 100% before you attempt anything. Even what seem like healthy fish can drop dead soon after they spawn, that's how much of a toll it takes on them.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

And considering how ill your male is spawning is the last thing you should be thinking of... especially with your water quality. From the sound of it your water is a death trap. Fry wouldn't survive.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

Oh I was never considering it now. My male is about to die and my female is really young still. I would have to get WAY more experienced with fish before I even considered it.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #14 
LadyVictorian

I agree, and maybe move someplace where the water quality is better for that or invest in someone who can supply good water. Sounds like your tap is cursed. I would be concerned for your own health too not to drink any of that water yourself. I know my cousins tap water gave her pet mice a horrible condition causing blindness and lesions under the skin caused by heavy pollution (water SHE was drinking) and it made her immune system weak. Now they don't drink their tap water.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I agree, and maybe move someplace where the water quality is better for that or invest in someone who can supply good water. Sounds like your tap is cursed. I would be concerned for your own health too not to drink any of that water yourself. I know my cousins tap water gave her pet mice a horrible condition causing blindness and lesions under the skin caused by heavy pollution (water SHE was drinking) and it made her immune system weak. Now they don't drink their tap water.
Did I missed something? I don't see the OP mentioning water supply quality.
I thought my water supply was bad ..... this sounds scary.

OP; have you tried filtering you water before it goes into your tanks. I think there are 4 basic ingredients - active carbon, active sand, metal binding substance, and purifying substance. . . . I forgot exactly and I'm not sure what they're called in English. Let it filter for 12 hours - longer is better.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #16 
homegrown terror

i've also heard of some people who live in non-urban areas (where air pollution isn't a huge concern) collecting rainwater/snow for their aquariums if the tap water is unsuitable.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #17 
Leopardfire

I haven't tried filtering my water, but maybe I should consider it. My tap water has a hardness of 180ppm, a ph of 7.6, a GH of around 80-100 and 1ppm ammonia in it. Is this very bad?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, colors, fry, genetics