Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
madmonahan

Question AFTER breeding

Im WANTING to breed bettas this summer but not very sure, i'v been doing research and I want to breed petstore bettas because this is my first time and I don't want to spend $50 and it not work out.....but that's not what I want to talk about, I want to be ready for everything I can. I don't know what I would do with the fry...I don't want to ship any and them arrive DOA because iv never done it before. But I can't KEEP them. I'm just worried about how I'm going to ship them and what will happen....any opinions??

PS.don't know if I will breed, just keep that in mind ;)
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I'm very close to dealing this with this.
There is a lot of information out there about shipping fish and how to properly pack them.
Check out the website BasementBettas.com and look under Showing fish> Bagging fish for shows.
Althought you are not showing, some of the information applies for shipping your fish. There's a link for a video at the bottom of the Bagging page.
I think that receiving a properly packed fish from a breeder will give you a great visual. I've received dozens of shipments and just got one yesterday which I kept to refer to when my time comes.
There's some cost that goes into getting the proper supplies for shipping. You will need bags, heat packs, boxes, and insulating material.
IMO/E no part of breeding bettas is cheap.
I encourge you to join the IBC, there you can get excellent information from active breeders.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

You've got a pretty basic idea of things here. What you need to do now is become much more advanced with even more research. Especially on shipping. To be honest, I didn't know how to ship fish and have them arive successfully. Now all of that has changed. I was terrified to ship bettas and didn't originally want to ship bettas at all. Luckily I learned and now know how to ship bettas (mostly from youtube) I used youtube because I'm a visual person and need to see it done rather than having to read steps. You won't learn how to ship bettas unless you try.

What I must express is that I'm pretty much just against breeding pet store fish. I believe the only way to understand and learn TRUE quality is by breeding a quality pair and not try to mix genes and such. Trust me, I've done all that you are thinking of doing.

I can relate because I had a pet store pair as my first spawn and I had all the info you have right now. My first spawn resulted in 1 severely stunted fry that was less than an inch and 5 months old. That is terrible. I know, but I learned from it and now I've been breeding for a couple of years now and I had a spawn reach 60+ survivors and very healthy.

My point in that rant is: IT TAKES JUST AS MUCH TIME, WORK, AND MONEY TO BREED PET STORE FISH, AS IT DOES TO BREED QUALITY FISH. (Not yelling)

Pet store fish/animals are to be pets and never to be bred.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 
Maddybelle

The only thing I dissagree with from bettalover2033's post is the absolutely no breeding of petstore fish. If you know what to look for, you can find some decent fish at Petco, and sometimes even Petsmart. Sure, you won't know their exact genetics, but thats part of the excitement, when you get something out of a spawn that you weren't expecting. As long as the parents don't have any visible health problems or deformities that could be passed on tothe fry, I say go for it. But try to find something of at least passable quality, and that you can find homes for.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I agree Maddybelle, a Betta either meets standards or it doesn't-you can have poor quality offspring from any Betta pairing. A lot can be based on care and nutrition. That $100.00 pair's offspring will not be any better than the $10.00 pair if you don't take proper care of them. The biggest difference IMO/E with known and unknown genetic-is knowing what you will get and it might take a couple of more generations to reach your goals with the mystery genetics- than a true breeding line of another breeders line they have been working on, however, you can still get surprises from them too.

When spawning it is important to have a plan and goals.

Finding homes for the offspring being a big one-only so many friends, family and local aquarium clubs will want them and you can usually only keep so many. You have craigslist, ebay, aquabid-but shipping might be involved-as you already know. You have Ma & Pa fish shops that might take them for store credit or give you a few cents for each Betta depending on quality or they will take them for free to use as feeders. The box type pet shops usually will not take them since they usually already have a contract with bigger fish farms.

If you think you are going to make a profit...Think again.....you will be lucky if you can break even-especially in the first 5 years until you establish a reputation-regardless of what breeding pair you start with....... Or you are really lucky.......

You breed for the joy and love of the species.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #6 
madmonahan

Thank you everyone!! Vilmarisv I will look up that website! :) I know I have LOTS of research to do!!! I'm just trying to get the basics down then go in to the details :) ;) I am VERY terrified to ship!!! We'll just have to see what happens! ;p
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 
inareverie85

It evens out for me.

If you breed pet store fish, it will take more generations to reach your ideal. That means raising more spawns, buying more food, having to rehome more babies than otherwise.

Starting with a higher quality pair cuts down on the time and the expense of raising additional spawns to reach the same goal.

It depends on which route you want to go with, I guess.

(Also, be sure to research. If you are unwilling to spend 50 dollars on a pair, you might want to look into the cost of everything else. The whole process of breeding, pairs not withstanding, can get rather expensive.)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #8 
madmonahan

^i know, i'v been saving up ;) that's why I don't know if I'm going to breed or not. I don't know if I will have the time or money but we'll have to see. :)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

I agree with bettalover and inareverie85 (*waves*)
Breeding is not just about spawning, the hardest part is raising the fry to adulthood. You might be surprised at how much money I've spent raising my current spawn, it's not just about having a tank. This is why I rather spawn a good pair than a low quality one; they take the exact same care.
It takes a lot to get prepared to raise your fry so it's not something to be taken lightly. I appreciate that you're taking the time to research and ask questions before you actually try it.
You can't go into breeding thinking that you will sell your fish and get some money back; it's unrealistic. I finally got a good size spawn that I might be selling but even getting the supplies to ship them is an expense you need to take into account. Just this week I had to get bags and heatpacks which cost me over $30 and I still will need to buy the styrofoam and boxes.
I might be able to sell SOME of my fish because they are from good known lines but you can't expect the same with just about any fish.
My recommendation to you is to be very selective and try to get your hands on a quality pair, the experience will be much more rewarding when you have fish that people want.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #10 
madmonahan

^ i'v been stressing over that! I see all this stuff about how to breed bettas but not as much raising the fry! When I read things about raising them I don't feel like it's enough info! I'm not looking for the money, I just love bettas and want to take it to the next level. :) I just get so nervous about shipping them because I'm not comfortable with shipping! I can't keep them all though! (wish I could!) :) im going to do some more research on the breeding and raising fry. ;) i'v got most of the basics down but there is still LOTS to I need to know!