Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 
amrock89

large bulge on betta

My male betta, Squirt, has a large bulge right under his head and I would really appreciate some help...it's been there for a little over a week and he's in a 1 gallon tank with a heater and I clean his bowl at least once a week....I have looked at some other sites and think it may be constipation-I haven't fed him for a day and then tried to get him to eat thawed frozen peas-I shelled them and cut them up real small-I read that it could help, however, he won't eat any of it...not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to post a picture if him on here too.
Attached Images

amrock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
amrock89

Squirt

I also feed him about 2-3 flakes a day and he seems to be his usual self-he's still pretty active and he doesn't linger too long in one spot....
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
maybe you should not feed him for another few days?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 
amrock89

I wasn't sure if it would help or not-they said the peas would maybe soothe the fish but since he's not eating any of them I need to figure something else out. He hasn't eaten for two days now...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Don't try peas, they can do more harm than good when fed-even in small pieces. The roughness can damage their digestive tract. Better to be safe than sorry. Can you fill out this sticky for more detailed info? I recommend an Epsom Salt treatment. 3 teaspoons for this case per gallon. Premix it 1st and then add it in carefully. Do this for 10-12 days and do daily 100% changes. Good luck. I'm sorry he's like this, I'd fast him for around 2-3 days as well.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
has the lump gone down in the 2 days???
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 
Gracie8890

Its one of 2 things, constipation or a tumor. You say its been like this for a week? And he hasnt eaten for 2 days? Its sounds more like a tumor to me. But if im wrong, dont feed him anymore peas. Getsome frozen daphnia, its a natural lax and feed it too him, you could also try epsom salts, 1 teaspoon per gallon for a few days. But if its a tumor. Theres nothing you can do, just make him as comfortable as can be before his times up
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 
Little Leaf

I feel uselessssssss...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 
amrock89

No the lump looks to be the same and thanks LebronTheBetta Ill fill it out and will try to use the salt treatment....
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 
amrock89

Thanks Gracie8890 I really hope its not a tumor...can I just get the daphnia at a pet store? Or do I need to order it online?