Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #1 
prosthetik

To Betta rescue, or not to Betta rescue?!

So I went to the store where I have my female on order to see if she had arrived yet [the answer was no lol] - & as usual I looked at the other Betta's they have for sale.

Nothing had changed from the last week and a bit but I noticed one guy in the top corner, a red veil tail with pretty much all of his dorsal fin gone. I thought it may had been fin rot but it looked like he had bitten it off because nothing else on his body was like it.

He's a pretty big guy. I said something to my boyfriend but he was too pre-occupied with all the other fish & the guy that deals with their fish wasnt there.

Since I've come home all I think about is the poor guy sitting there with his missing fin & I want to rescue him so bad but infortunately I just dont think I have the money for a decent sized tank to help make him better but I feel so bad & just dont want to leave him there.

What do I do?!
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosthetik View Post
So I went to the store where I have my female on order to see if she had arrived yet [the answer was no lol] - & as usual I looked at the other Betta's they have for sale.

Nothing had changed from the last week and a bit but I noticed one guy in the top corner, a red veil tail with pretty much all of his dorsal fin gone. I thought it may had been fin rot but it looked like he had bitten it off because nothing else on his body was like it.

He's a pretty big guy. I said something to my boyfriend but he was too pre-occupied with all the other fish & the guy that deals with their fish wasnt there.

Since I've come home all I think about is the poor guy sitting there with his missing fin & I want to rescue him so bad but infortunately I just dont think I have the money for a decent sized tank to help make him better but I feel so bad & just dont want to leave him there.

What do I do?!
trust me, its more painful to see them not recover because you lack the means. I would wait to have a little bit more money to at least afford a heater and a 2 gallon tank. (+ conditioner, food and aq salt for possible fin rot)

I know how it is to suffer, seeing them like that, because of it I tried rescuing 2 bettas. One died and my other one Aquilies is slowly dying to a mystery disease that has no cure right now... :/

It's rewarding when all goes well, I have two healthy bettas with me who always seem to check what I am doing and I love them to death.

However if you really want to rescue the betta then no one is stopping you, just be cautious and be aware that if the betta is very weak there isn't much you can do as it all depends on the fish to recover, you are just there to give them the tools so they can heal up.

So it's really up to you, who knows maybe the betta does recover and he's healthier than you think :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 
prosthetik

I looked up fin rot compared to biting & it seems more like biting to be honest.
And I go in there like twice a week & never noticed it on him before.

What do you recommend for fin biting? I have API stress coat, does that help?

I mean, I have a 14 gallon tank just sitting in my room atm but I want to use it for breeding.

I never thought I'd get so attatched to these fish!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
I looked up fin rot compared to biting & it seems more like biting to be honest.
And I go in there like twice a week & never noticed it on him before.

What do you recommend for fin biting? I have API stress coat, does that help?

I mean, I have a 14 gallon tank just sitting in my room atm but I want to use it for breeding.

I never thought I'd get so attatched to these fish!
Fin injury can lead to rot, aq salt prevents that and clean water helps tail bit fin healing stress coat helps as well. Indian almond leaves are great. If u can provide nice clean warm water and ypu are determined then go for it tigre xD
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
prosthetik

Yeah if he's still there next week then I will! I'll find somewhere for him. He has beautiful long fins so I'd hate to see him die or get worse or whatever :(
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Yeah if he's still there next week then I will! I'll find somewhere for him. He has beautiful long fins so I'd hate to see him die or get worse or whatever :(
:) good luck make sure to post some pics and stuff so we can see ^_^
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
prosthetik

Oh I deffinitely will! :D
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #8 
Kenny G

If you can afford it I say rescue ! I'm all for giving betta's loving homes.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Walmart sells tanks for pretty cheap pick one up and get some aq and empsom salt. that should be good ask for a discount on the fish too.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #10 
prosthetik

Unfortunately we dont have Walmart here lol but I might find a tank tomorrow while Im out shopping in another town.

My female I have ordered is arriving during the week next week so if he is there still I might get him at the same time I pick her up :)