Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
914joe

Question Red streaks Ammonia Burn

One of my betta's tail had red streaks when i had him in a bowl and forgot to change the water.I noticed after a couple of days he lost some of his tail fin,but it has not progressed ,and he is now been housed in a cycled 2.5 gallon tank since that happen'd a few weeks ago.I did some searches on online and i found out that it could be something called septicemia but he does not show any of the symptoms that are associated with that disease,do i need to use meds's since he does not have any symptoms.When he was in the bowl there was a plastic plant witch might be the reason his tail looks all messed up,but he definitely had red streaks and was breathing hard at the time when i had in the bowl.He had a beautiful white color band across his tail witch is mostly gone now, is there any chance of it growing back, here is a pic of how he looks now with almost all the white band gone.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Mine do this when I'm late on a water change. Even by just a day or two with the more sensitive ones. I thought it was possibly septicemia too, but it only happens when I've given them meds for something (and they're stressed) or when I'm late on a water change. As soon as they are in clean, fresh water, the red streaks go away.

I hope this helps, and I'd think that as long as you keep up on his water changes (not as vital now with the cycled tank) that his tail will grow back. :) I have a blue and white boy who had some fin rot and it took off the white edges of his tail, and they grew back. :)

Good luck to you, and beautiful fish!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #3 
914joe

Thanks Blue fish it does help i feel a little more at ease now ,here is a before pic when he was in the small container with the plastic plant that i think may have caused some the fin damage, i will keep an eye on him just in case it's fin rot.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #4 
ravenwinds

With clean water changes (even in a cycled 2.5g you will need to do them...check under betta fish care for stickies related to subject!), his gorgeous finnage should grow back to some semblance of his original fins length and, hopefully, coloring. He should be fine!

Beautiful tank you have him in! Just being in there with all that natural camouflage has to have made him feel better...I want to move in it's so pretty!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #5 
914joe

Thanks ravenwinds definitely better than where he was before, now he has some swimming room and he seems to be much happier now and flares every now and then.I am aware of the water changes i currently am doing 2 a week,he will be going into a larger tank soon i will use this as a hospital tank.I have read many posts that said you can't cycle a 2.5 tank and some that said you could but that it would not be that stable,i have managed to get it cycled but i have to agree that it is harder to keep stable ,at least for me it is.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #6 
ravenwinds

It is harder to keep stable and if you want less water changes every day or every few days (going from where he was to is now) a larger tank, even a 5g should be more stable...unless your me, where everything is reversed: I have a 2.5g NPT that is almost at 1 year, which is very stable...and 2 5g that have crashed twice each in past yr (although once for each it was medication related) ! Story of my, and Muphy's, life ;)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

As long as he is not fin bitting (which alot of HM's do), his fins should grow back. Clean, warm water is the key. Stress coat or krodon fish protector may help with the growth.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #8 
914joe

God i hope it's not tail biting, at least if he is sick i can buy something to cure him ,if it's tail biting what can i do other than saying hey you stop that .Maybe he will stop now that he is in a larger tank and i am using stress coat, i just started using a week ago so hopefully this will help.