Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 
Sapphoira

Everyone made it through the hurricane!

Hey guys!

Just got power back from Hurricane Sandy - my fish are warming up slowly. They got pretty cold, but thank goodness for the blankets and towels I wrapped their tanks with and that my house is well insulated since it has been in the 30's and 40's but their water never got colder than 65 degrees! We didn't lose water, but I stashed 30 gallons of extra water in buckets in case the power and the water was out long enough for my cycles to die and I could combat the inevitable ammonia spike. A couple of the guys are looking a little stressed out, and one of them either spent the time without power biting his tail or developing fin rot :( I've got him in qt with extra clean water and a little bit of aquarium salt. I hope any of the other members here in the east made it through the storm with little damage!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
Eggbert

I only lost power for 30hrs so my tank got as low as 68! Scary! Apollo was a little pale from the cold but he's back.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Glad you guys got through the storm ok! I'm in central CT so we didn't have a ton of damage. I packed up my fish and brought them to my parents' house because they have a generator just in case the power went out. We actually never lost power, which was great. My fish were a little stressed after 2 half-hour car rides in their cups inside of a cooler and from being transferred to cups, to temp tanks, back to cups, and back to permanent tanks again within 3 days, but everyone did well!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #4 
megaredize

im glad all of you made it through the storm! its sad hearing some really terrible stories on the news. Im in ontario canada so it really didnt do anything. we had a couple of rainy days that was it.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote