Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
sainthogan

ammonia level in tap water

Ok, so now that I got my water testing kit, I tested my tap water without any conditioners just to see what it said. The PH level is 7.4 and the ammonia is .25. Nitrates and Nitrites are 0. Remember this is my tap water not my tank water.
My question is, what do I do about the ammonia level of my tap water before putting it in the tank?
I've been using this water for 3 months before I could finally get my testing kit. (the strip kit I had was defective - I poured straight ammonia into a tub of water and it still read 0)
Generally, I do 50% change once a week. This last time, I went a little longer and the ammonia was still at .25. I only had one small live plant in there for a while, but now I have 2 - the second one is a Lilly that I started from a bulb and it's getting huge very quickly.
BTW - this is a 5 gallon, filter tank.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Just a little added information - I tested the levels in my tank BEFORE the Lilly sprouted. In just under a week, it's taken off and has tons of leaves and roots, so I'm going to test my tank water again today when I get off work this afternoon. I'd really prefer not to have to put any chemicals in the water to get rid of the tap water ammonia if my plants and filter will take care of it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 
megaredize

i would use Prime water conditioner if your not already using it. it also detoxifies ammonia.

"Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3). Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process. "

taken from their website http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 
sainthogan

I'm not using it now, I've been using Topfin Betta Water Conditioner which says it neutralizes ammonia too. Although I prefer Hagen's Betta conditioner because it has almond leaf extract and my girl really seems to like it better too, but it doesn't say if it neutralizes ammonia or not (I ran out and I can only get it online). I haven't tested conditioned water yet before putting it in the tank. I will do that this afternoon, if it does lower the ammonia then I guess I won't worry about it too much.
Prime is not available at my local wal-mart, so I will have to order it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
i would use Prime water conditioner if your not already using it. it also detoxifies ammonia.

"Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3). Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process. "

taken from their website Seachem. Prime
Ditto. I have high levels of nitrAtes out of my tap, and Byron (one of the mods from TFK) suggested Prime to bind the nitrAtes until the plants can pick it up. But if the stuff you're using binds ammonia too, maybe that would work.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 
shellieca

.25 ammonia is not very much & if your tank is cycled, your BB will process it out. Using the proper water conditioner will detoxify the tap water, your BB will do the rest.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

Is your tank cycled (just cause it's filtered doesn't automatically mean it's cycled)? If it's cycled then your biofilter should take care of that small amount of ammonia in the water.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #8 
sainthogan

I have a bio filter and I've had the tank a little over a month. I'm new to the whole cycling thing, so I'm really not sure. It's been ages since I've had fish and back then, my uncle and my dad did all of that stuff for me, I just fed the fish and changed their water periodically.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

The only way to know is to do water tests. If the tank is cycled you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and readable nitrates.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #10 
inuudo

I have 0.25 ammonia in my tap water, too. In my uncycled tank, that level of ammonia always registers (even with Prime or other water conditioner added) because the test is not able to distinguish between ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4). In my cycled tanks, the ammonia reading is always zero because the beneficial bacteria handles the tap water ammonia level.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote