Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 
sareena79

Its official...he hates pellets...so whats the best flake?

Sushi has been on tetra flakes and supplemented with baby shrimp since I brought him home in July and he attacks them fiecely every morning, but I decided I wanted to try him on pellets since I hear they are better for him so I had my friend lend me some of her pellets and he refuses to eat them. I have tried for 2 days now and he just looks at me like YEAH RIGHT MOM....so I started wondering if there is a quality flake food out there. I just started using a product called vitachem but I want to make sure hes getting nutrition through his food as well. is this a good brand?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
Sushi has been on tetra flakes and supplemented with baby shrimp since I brought him home in July and he attacks them fiecely every morning, but I decided I wanted to try him on pellets since I hear they are better for him so I had my friend lend me some of her pellets and he refuses to eat them. I have tried for 2 days now and he just looks at me like YEAH RIGHT MOM....so I started wondering if there is a quality flake food out there. I just started using a product called vitachem but I want to make sure hes getting nutrition through his food as well. is this a good brand?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail
Well usually betta's HATE flakes with a passion. So you can try but mine stare at me like "really you are going to feed me THIS?"

Something they like though dried blood worms and brine shrimp. But they cannot eat that constantly-- try any flakes that is high on protein

Vitachem is good I hear, however I think it best to go fully natural and just vary food :3 I do not know many brands because here in spain betta food are hard to get. I tried nutrafin max but the only one who dared to eat it was Yuri, my first ever rescue... good thing is they come with dried blood worms so you can alternate :D

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
megaredize

i would think the betta buffet flakes are probably the best you will find that are marketed just for bettas. most brands make only pellets. while i have heard the omega one betta buffet pellets are good so im guessing the flake should be on par with their pellets
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

our sorority girls eat flakes because they're easier to spread out at feeding time than pellets, which means there's less crowding for food and so far no feeding-related hostility. i think it's just a case by case thing whether bettas prefer flakes or pellets.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

there is a possibilty that he doesnt know he can eat it. you can deop one in with a flake each time and see if that work. if that doesnt, taking him of food for a few days usually does the trick
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #6 
sainthogan

My Betta hated all the pellets I gave her too, until I found the right kind. She LOVES Hagen Nutrafin Max Betta Color Flakes. I did a lot of research on flakes, and have found those to be a very good quality with most of their ingredients being fish proteins, they are very expensive though. Hagen also makes a granule pellet that is super tiny called Hagen Nutrafin Max Betta Granules. They are also expensive. These are the pellets my Betta will eat, she likes them, but not as much as the flakes. You can get both of them on Amazon.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
My Betta hated all the pellets I gave her too, until I found the right kind. She LOVES Hagen Nutrafin Max Betta Color Flakes. I did a lot of research on flakes, and have found those to be a very good quality with most of their ingredients being fish proteins, they are very expensive though. Hagen also makes a granule pellet that is super tiny called Hagen Nutrafin Max Betta Granules. They are also expensive. These are the pellets my Betta will eat, she likes them, but not as much as the flakes. You can get both of them on Amazon.
lol I bought those my bettas hate them so thats like money gone to waste sniffle. XD
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 
jenjen182

I would not use flakes. Bettas DESPISE flakes. They look at you like, Excuse me?Hilarious.

Anyway, I would try one last pellet- I would try Aqueon Betta Pellet or Hikari Betta Pellet. These are the easiest and pellets are the best because they are so simple to measure the amount of food!

I feed my betta Aqueon Betta Pellet. He loves it.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #9 
sareena79

Quote:
I would not use flakes. Bettas DESPISE flakes.
well mine LOVES his flakes and despises his pellets so Im trying to find a GOOD flake....I have plenty of his old flakes and shrimp left to get me thru for quite some time so I guess I have time to make a choice, just wondering if anyone had experience with the betta buffet brand since they seem to be the highest protien flake
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Lol, my fish eats everything. I think the way I conditioned him allows him to think everything is food. pellets, flakes, blood worms, live worms, frozen freeze dried... shrimps.....However he's very smart about not eating his own poop.
I also brought him up with a giant appetite >.> so I don't really agree with the fact that they hate flakes. some are just pickier than others.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote