Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #21 
sareena79

well thankfully I didnt buy any pellets so Im not out any money for these if I dont use them. think Im just gonna put him on a really high quality flake and be done with it. hes getting nutrition from his vitachem as well so Im sure he will be just fine and he really does love his flake food (even the crappy tetra stuff lol so the BB flakes will really be a treat) thanks for all the info guys!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #22 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
and I never knew how hard those boogers could strike at something till I got these pellets, I mean he attacks his flakes but when he hit that pellet it was LOUD! hahahah. simmer down fishy!
That's funny, that's how my fish is with her flakes. She'll eat the expensive pellets, but she just sucks them off the surface of the water. But with the flakes, she full on attacks them with jumps and everything. Too funny.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #23 
sareena79

if he gets to them fresh he doesnt hit them as hard but if it starts to swell at all he really has to work for it lol hes a nerd
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Soak them in garlic juice.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #25 
callistra

+1^

Have you tried New Life Spectrum Betta formula or Omega One Betta Buffet? NLS especially are small and they have garlic in them. You can also soak the omega one pellets (or any) in garlic guard by seachem for a few minutes and that should get their attention. Unfortunately, high quality and flakes are antonyms.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I wonder why a Carnivore likes a vegetable anyways?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #27 
Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
I have one fish I had to switch from hikari pellets because he would get the floaties every time I fed him. He doesn't have that issue with the NLS pellets.

What are 'the floaties?'
I was feeding fred Hikari pellets but idk they seemed to sort of constipate him a little? Too much waste produced! >.< I don't really like how much wheat is in there either. :/

Fred is not picky at all. Not wasteful either. If a pellet sinks, he eventually finds it and eats it. He does not eat his own poop. I give him Omega one pellets and he does really well on that. Produces little waste(a lot less than the hikari) and he looks and acts great. I think I'm going to throw the hikari pellets out. Not a good pellet imo. I would also never buy something where the first ingredient is wheat/soybean/oatmeal/corn. ick. :/ Fred also gets Omega one freeze-dried bloodworms.

I've heard that freeze dried foods can cause internal parasites? is this true? The container says that they are freeze dried in a certain way so that there are no parasites? The tetra bottle said that their freeze-drying process eliminates 'most' parasites..... meh. He has omega one though :D

I'm gonna incorporate some live food into his diet as well.

But he looks FANTASTIC on omega one.

what kind of pellets/brand do you have?

Last edited by Butterfly; 12-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #28 
callistra

Hikari changed their formula and now they're mostly wheat. I keep some on hand in case I need to feed medication because they're great soakers but they do tend to cause constipation.

Omega one and NLS are good.. I prefer NLS because they're smaller and have garlic.

Freeze dried foods can cause constipation if they're fed without being soaked.. they're too dry and suck all the moisture. Whether they can cause parasites is a matter of debate.. some people claim they can and others claim they can't because of how they're processed. I'd say it's unlikely at least. A lot of people feed frozen foods because of the constipation factor, but again that's more likely than freeze dried to contract parasites, although again unlikely.

Live food is the leading cause of internal parasite infections. That can definitely cause it. I'd stay away from that personally.

Last edited by callistra; 12-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #29 
Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Hikari changed their formula and now they're mostly wheat. I keep some on hand in case I need to feed medication because they're great soakers but they do tend to cause constipation.

Omega one and NLS are good.. I prefer NLS because they're smaller and have garlic.

Freeze dried foods can cause constipation if they're fed without being soaked.. they're too dry and suck all the moisture. Whether they can cause parasites is a matter of debate.. some people claim they can and others claim they can't because of how they're processed. I'd say it's unlikely at least. A lot of people feed frozen foods because of the constipation factor, but again that's more likely than freeze dried to contract parasites, although again unlikely.

Live food is the leading cause of internal parasite infections. That can definitely cause it. I'd stay away from that personally.
:/ really? :/ :/ :/ Good thing I didn't have time to pick up daphnia on Friday...I don't think I will get some unless he's sick and won't eat anything else(which is unlikely as he has a good appetite :D)

thank you for informing me! I will continue to give fred bloodworms, but first soak them. I'll also keep the hikaris on hand just in case.

What role does garlic play in a betta's nutrition?
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #30 
sandybottom
Reference Team

garlic is said to have anti-parasitic properties. it is also an appetite stimulant. they contain vitamins, minerals, phyto-nutrients and antioxidants. allicin an essential volitile compound has been found to contain anti-viral,anti-fungal,and anti-bacterial properties. the richer forms of garlic contain:iron,potassium,calcium,magnesium,manganese ,zinc and selenium and b6. it contains flavanoid antioxidants such as beta carotene and also has vitamin c. so this is incredibly good for the vascular system,warding off parasites,and also good for fishies heart ;)
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote