Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 
notsabrina

Unhappy Definitely fin rot... questions about nutrition, treatment, and what to do with tank?

After being worried for so many weeks and never being sure what is going wrong with my little guy, the signs have finally become apparent enough to diagnose my poor Finley Caviar: he has fin rot. I thought maybe he was a fin biter because only his dorsal fins would have chunks missing. But after the incident where he ate a huge piece of dorsal on accident while eating a pellet, I'm sure the bacteria got to him and spread everywhere.

When I came home from work today I went to feed him as usual, and the first thing I noticed was his ventral fins were half gone! He normally has really long ventral fins, about 1.5 inches. The rest of his anal and caudal fins are all curly and gray, and some even have red colorization like blood along the edges.

I currently have Finley in a 1 gallon quarantine bowl with one java fern and his leaf hammock. I started doing the aquarium salt treatment, too. I also bought a package of frozen brine shrimp and I'm changing his staple food from Top Fin Color Enhancing pellets to Omega One pellets since I heard those are both good for his nutrition. I also heard about good things about garlic juice. I do not have garlic juice at home, but I do have garlic powder. Would it be good/bad to mix garlic powder and water together and soak the Omega pellets in that instead?

Also, while Finley is in the hospital tank for treatment, what should I be doing to his 5 gallon? Do I completely rinse and clean out the gravel? Do I perform a 100% water change and treat the tank with aquarium salt? I don't know whether or not cleaning the gravel would be a good idea because all of the good bacteria, so I wanted to ask if that was ok? In an older thread of mine, OFL suggested I remove the filter (which I have), and I've already thrown away the old cartridge. Should I purchase a new cartridge and have the filter running during treatment?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a first time betta owner struggling to keep her fish alive! All help is so much appreciated! Thank you!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature
Does your tank have a filter? It does have a filter, but at the moment, it has been removed.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Pellets and freeze dried blood worms. Recently purchase Omega One pellets and frozen brine shrimp, trying to change his nutrition intake.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 times per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Curly fins, gray/red along edges, torn/frayed fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lazy, stays either on top or bottom of tank, 3 days ago he stopped eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? For several weeks, getting worse as the days go on.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, started day 1 of aquarium salt treatment in a quarantine tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, this is the first real incident.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #2 
twolovers101

Continue with the salt treatment and keep him warm of course :) as for the garlic... I wouldn't use garlic powder... I'm almost positive it's not the same thing as actual garlic, it's usually just flavored salt

As for his tank and your questions regarding it... I don't have much of an answer for you.

Make sure not to continue the AQ salt after 10 days, if it hasn't gotten better by then you may need to use meds, but usually the salt is enough :)

EDIT: also with the AQ salt and small bowl you will need to do 100% daily water changes as the salt doesn't evaporate, I'm guessing you know this already, but just making sure ^^;

Last edited by twolovers101; 10-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #3 
notsabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Continue with the salt treatment and keep him warm of course :) as for the garlic... I wouldn't use garlic powder... I'm almost positive it's not the same thing as actual garlic, it's usually just flavored salt

As for his tank and your questions regarding it... I don't have much of an answer for you.

Make sure not to continue the AQ salt after 10 days, if it hasn't gotten better by then you may need to use meds, but usually the salt is enough :)

EDIT: also with the AQ salt and small bowl you will need to do 100% daily water changes as the salt doesn't evaporate, I'm guessing you know this already, but just making sure ^^;
Thanks for responding! I won't use garlic power. I had no idea it was just flavored salt -__- lol. I do have actual garlic cloves, you wouldn't happen to know if there's anything I can do with that?

As for the water changes, I will definitely do 100% water changes every day for 10 days with the salt! Quick question about adding aquarium salt: Do I add the salt directly into the water? On the packaging it says to just add it in, but I read in another thread that I should let it dissolve in clean water first before putting my betta in the tank. Is this true if the salt doesn't evaporate? What is the correct way to use the aquarium salt?

What temperature would you consider warm?
In a completely different betta forum, there was a thread concerning mild cases of fin rot where it suggested keeping the water 76-78 degrees F so the infection won't spread.... or something along those lines.
Thanks so so so much!

Last edited by notsabrina; 10-29-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #4 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsabrina View Post
Thanks for responding! I won't use garlic power. I had no idea it was just flavored salt -__- lol. I do have actual garlic cloves, you wouldn't happen to know if there's anything I can do with that?

As for the water changes, I will definitely do 100% water changes every day for 10 days with the salt! Quick question about adding aquarium salt: Do I add the salt directly into the water? On the packaging it says to just add it in, but I read in another thread that I should let it dissolve in clean water first before putting my betta in the tank. Is this true if the salt doesn't evaporate? What is the correct way to use the aquarium salt?

What temperature would you consider warm?
In a completely different betta forum, there was a thread concerning mild cases of fin rot where it suggested keeping the water 76-78 degrees F so the infection won't spread.... or something along those lines.
Thanks so so so much!
What I did was dissolve 1tsp of salt (per the 1tsp per gallon rule for a 1 gallon tank) in a cup of VERY hot water, added it to a gallon of my regular tap water and then conditioned it with my usual conditioner and added a bit of stress coat.

So assuming your bowl is 1 gallon, then just dissolve 1 tsp of salt in water (if it's not dissolved it will burn your buddy! D:) and add it to your water and then condition (sorry for redundancy... wasn't sure if what I said first made sense lol)

Warm for a betta is a comfy 76-82* F they are tropical fish so they like warmer temps.

The regular garlic cloves should work fine, but it's usually just used to encourage a betta to eat. Mash up and juice the garlic and soak 1-2 pellets in it and then try feeding that to your betta, hopefully he'll be more inclined to eat it then.

If you don't have the right size heater for your smaller tank you can float your betta in a cup of the salty conditioned water I talked about in his larger tank so he stays warm. (On that note, if you don't have a heater yet for your buddy, you should probably go buy one, if he's cold, his immune system is more likely to be compromised and he'll have a harder time fighting off the rot)

EDIT: lol just re-read and noticed you DO in fact have a heater... sorry late nights = sleepy forgetful me
You MIGHT be able to float your 1 gal in your lager tank... but as I have no experience with doing that, I'm not quite sure how it would work :/
And yes, salt does not evaporate with the water, so you can't just add more to his tank when the water level gets low

Last edited by twolovers101; 10-30-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #5 
notsabrina

I have a small heater for my bowl but I haven't plugged it in because I read the temp should not be very warm so bacteria doesn't grow and thrive instead of dying. I keep my tanks at 80-82 degrees, but because of what I read I opted on not plugging it in. But I definitely can when I'm done with this reply :)

As far as the salt....oh no! I hope my betta doesn't get burned because I put 1/2 tablespoon earlier!! Luckily I asked so in dont make the same mistake tomorrow. :\

I will try your suggestion with the garlic cloves! Finley stopped eating 3 days ago. He'll eat only 1 of his 3 pellet serving, and sometimes just not eat at all. This is why I decided to switch him to Omega One and frozen brine shrimp. So far he's eaten 2 thawed shrimp and hasn't given notice to the new pellets yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #6 
twolovers101

Sometimes they're just picky about food, give him some time, he'll warm up to it :)

I'm not really sure on how the heat reacts with the bacteria and what not, so I can't really give you any advice on that... however, when I was treating Nova for a really aggressive case of fin rot, I kept the heater on and he healed up in a few days :) (That being said, the fin rot I was dealing with was SUPER aggressive and the salt did not work for me and I had to use meds. This however, is not true in most cases and AQ salt usually works fine. I just don't want to cause any panic attacks lol)

As for the salt oops, he should be okay, bettas are pretty tough little creatures. You're doing your best so no worries :) As long as you try, you have nothing to be upset about :D

I also use the Omega One betta buffet pellets (I switched from flakes just like you did) and have seen a great improvement in my fish, they are so much more active and seem happier now that they're getting a good quality food :D

Anyhow, it's off to bed for me
Wishing you and your little friend a good night and get well vibes :D

EDIT: again with the sleepy brain farts, you switched from a different brand of pellet, oh well, I can't win them all can I? xD

Last edited by twolovers101; 10-30-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 
notsabrina

Haha get some sleep!

Here's a thread OFL commented in where she said the mid 70s is a good temperature for mild fin rot: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=77610

I plugged in the heater anyway lol. Talk to you soon :)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
notsabrina

Hey everyone.

My betta hasn't really eaten much since I've started the aquarium salt treatment. I've seen him eat 2 brine shrimps, and some freeze dried bloodworms, but for the most part he doesn't eat. Is there anything I can try to entice his appetite? Also, the Omega One pellets don't float well, they just sink to the bottom. Does anyone also have this problem with the brand?