Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
MistersMom

Floating frogs?

Well i went to my lps and they have afd and so, i asked if they had african clawed frogs because if they did i wasnt going to get an adf from there ever lol, she said no, but i noticed some little green frogs she called floating frogs, so, what are they and do bettas get along with them, or adf's get along with them? and out of curioustiy, what is the difference between a adf and an acf ? because walmart and lps have a albine adf's but i read somewhere that that isnt possible...

Last edited by MistersMom; 11-01-2012 at 05:55 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 
Sakura8

African Clawed Frogs can get up to 8 inches long and will eat most any small fish. Best kept with large cichlids and catfish.

I think she's pulling your leg. I think the floating frogs are the same as ADF because frankly, every LPS I go to that has ADF, the things are always floating.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 
MistersMom

So the albino things.... they were clawed frogs? and the 'floating frogs' were adf's ? can you post a picture of each? ... lol.. and thank you btw.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I can try. And supposedly, according to some websites, there ARE albino versions of both.

African Clawed Frog

African Dwarf Frog

EDIT: To tell the difference: clawed frogs have webbing only on the hindfeet. ADF have webbing on all feet.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
MistersMom

Walmart is a liar... and so is my lps.... i almost bought an acf for my tanks lol... WOW... but now that i know, that lps is the only place that carries adf's so if i wanted one...... how would i go about getting it? because they also have Acf's .. :/
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Check the front feet. If there are webs, it's an ADF and it's okay for your tank. :)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

There are albino ADF's I almost got one but they were all very thin and so I didn't risk it. They are called blonde though not albino in this case since they don't have the official red eyes. I'm getting a blonde adf next time i go shopping for them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #8 
MistersMom

Thank you you 2, i think ill just wait until we go to Pets-mart again or even ask some one on here if they'd mail one... because im utterly confused about this...and here is why

my research goes like this lol...
ADF's - live underwater, are rarely albino, instead are blonde, have webbed feet.
ACF's- live underwater, are often albino, grow quite large, and carry Chytrid Fungus which kills other frogs, yet ACF's are immune to it, ACF's are also illegal in some states
Indonesian Floating Frog- does not live underwater but rather both under water and on land, has a light brown stripe down its back, and little else is known about them

So.... i am quite confused because google images has all 3 and mainly the same photos pop up. lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Yeaaaaah . . . go to Petsmart. o.O

Sorry, I must admit aside from my own little research I don't know much about frogs at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #10 
MistersMom

lol, me either, lol. its so confusing!! :/

how ever i may state one thing about this FF ..... they looked like toads, like little tiny toads, so do ADF's look like toads? lol