Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #11 
Sakura8

They always looked like frogs to me. Aren't toads fatter in size than frogs? *is confused*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #12 
MistersMom

well yes, but i was mainly talking about the skin... its bumpy... not smooth...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Hmm. I don't know. Maybe thekoimaiden or someone else will come along soon who might know. In the meantime, I think I need to get a book or two on frogs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #14 
MistersMom

lol, alright thank you though!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #15 
emeraldmaster

i was reading this thread to see if i could help, good job sakura. but whilst doing so... i noticed your location... it is nice to meet a fellow oklahoma betta keeper. howdy!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #16 
MistersMom

lol howdy :P

do you about the frogs by any chance?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #17 
emeraldmaster

not really, but i do want to get some! i wanted to see if those tiny little frogs we have here would work for a betta. but i don't know what they are called.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #18 
OrangeAugust

Oh, interesting. I think the African Clawed Frog was what I had when I was a kid. My mom sent away for it and it came in the mail as a tadpole and we got to watch it grow into a frog! I didn't know what kind of frog it was because I was only like 6 years old at the time, but it looked just like that picture of the ACF. After it was an adult for a while we gave it to my best friend who had a good sized aquarium.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #19 
MistersMom

:( i want an ADF lol
Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

ADF's look nothing like toads, they look like frogs, I think the bumps you are thinking of are the glands males have under their arms.

ADF's have webbed feet, are fairly small in size, and remind me a bit of leopard frogs. They are very easy to tell apart, someone already posted a picture of an ADF vs ACF. ACF's are larger, have thicker bodies, and to me are quite ugly to where ADF's have adorable faces. Also ADF's have webbed feet and ACF do not. Their front feet are not clawed at all. This is what an ADF looks like.

blonde ADF

Not the wedding on the feet both front and back? Also note eyes are located on the SIDE of the head. You will see why I point this out soon. The legs are very thin and bony. Now next frog.

ACF

Note they have no webbing on their front feet, a thickness to their hind legs, AND the eyes are centered more towards the top than to the side.

Even the body is thicker. It's very easy to tell the two apart.

Indonisian Floating Frog

Again this looks NOTHING like an ADF, maybe you just think all frogs look alike? I'm not sure but upon seeing this I saw nothing that gave me the slightest hint it could be an ADF.

Again no webbing on the front feet. Notice how the body tapers to a point? It's slimmer than the round belly of an ADF. Also the face, the eyes again look as if they are set more to the top of the head but not in a freakish manor as the ACF...which looks just odd with the eye set. To me these guys look like your standard run of the mill frog. They are not aquatic frogs but rather standard amphibians and their body is built for both land and water where as ADF and ACF are built for a life forever in the water.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote