Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #1 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Whirling Disease? Or something else

Right before my betta died, he went from being extremely lethargic for days, to swimming the craziest way I have ever seen, and I know what Swim Bladder Disorder looks like .. this was fast, all of a sudden, upside down and swirling and spinning. Then he stopped and died about a half hour later.

I googled the symptoms to death and I found "Whirling Disease" which sounds horribly contagious to other fish .. .

or could it have been something else related to a betta's final moments? He was originally in a hospital tank because of lethargy, spitting out food, and upon very close inspection I believe he could have been pineconing and swollen, but very very slightly. In other words, I thought I could save him since it looked like very early stage.

Anyway, just curious, anyone ever have a fish swirl and spin crazily right before death?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #2 
mursey

It actually did look pretty similar to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x04RbkXJjtM
but only once for like 10 seconds and then he died pretty soon after.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh dear. if it looks like it, it very well could be. the good news I guess is that it is a parasite. and parasites don't last too long without a host and are easy to kill. best thing to do is to nuke the tank with bleach and start again.

fish also whirl if the water is not dechlorinated...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #4 
mursey

Hmm it's so strange. I didn't forget to add Prime to the water. If it is Whirling Disease I am screwed, I did read you have to bleach everything and probably all the fish will die.

Then again if you say they do that with dechlorinated water maybe they do it for other reasons too. The only thing that is different form the videos of Whirling Disease and what happened to Pinkerton is that he only did it once and these videos seem to show the fish continuously doing that.

Last edited by mursey; 11-02-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

What other fish do you have in the tank? I do suggest feeding them an anti parasite medicated diet for a full recommended treatment, just in case...
other wise it may just be a freak one time accident with the one fish. don't give up on it yet. and is this the double tail that passed?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote