Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Not sure if tank is too small, or too cluttered...

I've had my darling betta Phycondrias for nearly five months now. When he was in his cup we bought him in from the store, he was docile, but had a full tail. About a month after moving him to his new tank, he started biting his fins. And he hasn't really stopped even though we've been settled in our new place for four months. I've tried keeping the temperature of the room in a comfortable 26-30 degree Celsius zone, though sometimes it gets a bit warmer in the tank. He has a gentle filter, and I don't keep the light on terribly long, since he gets partial natural sunlight all day. So I'm wondering if the tank is too small, or too cluttered. Too colorful? Not enough hidey spaces? The pH is fine, and he's in the same room we're in most often when at home.

This is what his tank looks like, 2.5 gallons..should I move up to 5 so he has more space and I can add more variety?

Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 
Polishdiva1

Wow your tank is really cool. I can't imagine that being a problem but I'm new to this so I'll let the more experienced betta keepers answer :)
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishdiva1 View Post
Wow your tank is really cool. I can't imagine that being a problem but I'm new to this so I'll let the more experienced betta keepers answer :)
Lol, thank you. I saw the t-rex skull where I work a long while before I got Phycondrias, but HAD to get it. Just so badass! And I think it's a different sort of cave =)
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Only concern is watch those plastic plants. They have been known for cutting up betta tails.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Only concern is watch those plastic plants. They have been known for cutting up betta tails.
D= I did remove some that seemed more sharp, but I thought broader leaved ones would be safer. I dont have the resources for real plants...are there dangers with the more fabric like fake plants? Not sure if they're silk or some other fabric.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 
megaredize

could also just be the filter. some bettas dont like any water movement
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
could also just be the filter. some bettas dont like any water movement
I wondered about that. It's not strong, and he seems to use it's current to let his food come to him sometimes. But so far he has seemed rather tempermental...I just never know if he's happy or upset. =/ And I really dont want to stress him out >.<
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

As for fabric and silk plants they are preferred with betta. I have them in with my boy and they won't hurt the fins.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
As for fabric and silk plants they are preferred with betta. I have them in with my boy and they won't hurt the fins.
=) Then I'll look to see what's available tomorrow. Thank you so much!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Very welcome, they have a lot of cheap packs of silk plants (3 each) at Petco if you want to hunt them down.

Tags
betta veil-tail