Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #1 
bettasaur

Talking Adding to my tank. :)

Hey, y'all! I'm sure that there's several threads on this topic, but I wanted to make mine tank specific. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that's heated and filtered and has live plants. I would really like to add some smaller fish to Bettasaur's tank, but I'm not sure what kind. I really like the look of the tetras. My petco is having a sale where they're 5 for $5. Would they be ok in a 10 gallon as long as I provided lots of hidey holes? I'm hoping this will keep him entertained for times when I'm not at home for a couple days at a time. He tends to bite his tail when he doesn't have any interaction. Thanks in advance!!!
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

tetras are big time finn-nippers, be very careful!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
lexylex0526

A school of six neon tetras would be perfect in a ten gal with a betta. Provided they have lots of hiding places.

Even though I would recomend this, I believe I should warn you this arrangement doesn't always work out. Some bettas are ment for solitary life others do okay with friends, it really depends on your bettas personality specificaly.

Even though there's a 95% chance this arrangement should work but make sure you monitor your tank closely for tailbiting or harassment.

Best of luck!!!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 
bettasaur

I love the way the neon tetras look. I think the ones that I was looking at were cardinal tetras? What's the difference in these besides the color? I'll be on the lookout for fin nipping. He bites his tail though, so I'm not sure how easy that will be.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 
lexylex0526

Smile

[quote=bettasaur;1295334]I love the way the neon tetras look. I think the ones that I was looking at were cardinal tetras? What's the difference in these besides the color?]

Cardinal tetras get larger than neons. One advantage of the cardinal tetra is hardiness. Many fish can catch neon tetra disease from neons, However cardinal tetras are virtually immune to the disease, kind of unexpected in a way since their color patterns are so similar.

Both are a great addition to aquariums!!! :)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 
bettasaur

The cardinal tetras are $1 & the neons are like $6 a fish. I'll probably go with the cardinals. How many can I put in there? They're schooling fish, right?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 
lexylex0526

They are definitely a schooling fish so they should be with atleast 6 of their kind.

So I would say 6 cardinals sounds good for your setup :)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
bettasaur

Awesome! Thanks. :)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #9 
lexylex0526

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasaur View Post
Awesome! Thanks. :)
No prob! :) Definitely keep us updated with your new community tank, and post pics when its up and running!

Also feel free to message me if you run into anymore questions on the tetras/betta!

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #10 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexylex0526 View Post
No prob! :) Definitely keep us updated with your new community tank, and post pics when its up and running!

Also feel free to message me if you run into anymore questions on the tetras/betta!

Good Luck!
I'm excited. :) Any suggestions on hidey hole accessories for the tetras that the betta can't get into? Bettasaur has a habit of swimming through things that he probably shouldn't.