Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #1 
ajnozari

Fungus?

Ok so I noticed a white patch on my betta about a week ago. I did the natural water change and he seemed ok. Then he got lethargic and I got worried. I waited two days and did another change, the white had spread a bit more by this time.

Now it cover his face and body. I think it is a fungus but it hasn't responded to treatment. I am currently using the fungus cure from the petshop + aquarium salt and water changes twice a week.

The pictures are after the fourth day of treating with the fungus cure stuff and he is a LOT more active and is eating with more gusto than I have seen in a while. I am also seeing more bubbles than I have in a while, since this whole thing started.

Am I doing all that I can or should I be doing more.

Note that the water is greenish because of the fungus medicine. The wall you see is actually white in color.

Pics below

ajnozari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm... turn the lights off and shine a flash light on the fish. does it give off a coppery sheen? if it does you might be dealing with a parasite... not a fungal infection.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #3 
ajnozari

No, it was more of a greenish color from the water but it might have had a little bit of coppery tinge but nothing like the pictures of ick from the web.

Also, he is the only fish in the tank, my first betta. Can he get ick from the water?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

look into velvet. not ich. ich is more obvious :(
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #5 
ajnozari

If this is velvet

(Edit: This picture is from the interwebs, it isn't my fish)

Then no, it's definetly white with just a hint of coppery tint. Since it covers so much of him I would expect more. It also is patchy (circular).

Also, how much aquarium salt can I add at a time? The tank is 2 gallons.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's not recommended to use aq salt in conjunction with medication....

if you dont think it's velvet...I'm leaning towards somethin with the fish's slime coat :/ is it fuzzy at all? bettas can also marble. but looking at your picture, I'm doubting it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #7 
ajnozari

No it isn't fuzzy, it might be his slime coat but I can't imagine. I also didn't know about the no salt while treating.

However, if the fungus cure doesn't clear it up by wednesday of next week I'll try the velvet JIC. If that doesn't work then IDK what to do.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I found this article...

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/costia.html
Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #9 
ajnozari

hmm, I'll go to the pet store if it doesn't clear and pick up some parasite meds (I can't remember the name). I'll also look for a fish doctor in the area as I think there is one close by
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

a common cure for parasites if to notch the heater up to (or higher than) 86F. apparently if it is costia, it is a cold water parasite and breeds rapidly between 50-77F

above 86F it will die out.

the only problem treating with a parasite med is that this parasite doesnt seem to have a free swimming stage. meaning that if it has a thick enough protective layer, the medicine will be useless and will only affect your fish....

I recommend the heat method first with an addition of Aq salt to soothe the fish..

if he has been in that temperature range recently .... give or take a few degrees due to thermometer inaccuracy... then there is a high possibility it's a parasite infection

edit: oh and can you check the parasite meds to see if it contain malachite green (or similar ) ingredients? if it does, it's effective against parasites and i recommend finishing off your treatment anyway.

Last edited by ao; 11-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.