Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #1 
GVeers

Betta dying...will any meds help?

My Betta has not been the same since he had some white fuzz on his gill a few weeks ago. After the fuzz disappeared, he seemed weak but recovering. Unfortunately he has gotten weaker rather than stronger, and while I've started introducing AQ salt into 2-day water changes, I'm not hopeful. I'm starting to think he needs medication if he's going to make it, and I've never bought medication for a fish before.

His two main symptoms are extreme lethargy (swimming only briefly before falling on the nearest plant/log/gravel) and labored breathing from his gills. He had been eating normally up until last night, so he seems to be deteriorating.

Housing/food parameters in previous link. He's only about 1 1/2, so it seems too early for a natural death. I will continue with introducing AQ salt into regular water changes, but if there is any kind of medication I could try I think it might be the time. Thank you for reading this.
GVeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #2 
GVeers

He's just barely hanging in there, lying on the bottom of the tank. I'm afraid his next water change will be his last. If there's a chance that medication will do something, I feel like I need to take that chance. I got him the following two options at Petsmart:

Fungus Cure: This seems more related to what he had a month ago, although all overt symptoms have passed. It would also address increased tattering of his fins, although that seems minor compared to his overall state.

Parasite Guard: Based on his listlessness and heavy breathing, this best fits the symptoms listed on the package.

Which of these should I try tonight? I don't think another dose of salt is going to do the trick...thank you...
GVeers is offline   Reply With Quote