Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #1 
prosthetik

Question How can you tell if your Betta's are good for breeding?

I've read alot about how people say you shouldn't breed Betta's from Pet Stores, is this completely true?

& how do you tell if your Betta's [both male & female] are of good quality to breed?

Like, for an example, Richard, my SDet is multicolored [as you can see by the pics below] - does this make him a bad choice for breeding because of all his colors? Is there a way I can tell what the main colors of his parents were just by looking at him? [sorry I dont understand how the coloring combos work no matter how much i try to]

And finally at what age do you think its time to stop breeding a Betta? I've read 2 years & the younger the better?

Sorry for the kinda crap quality pics, trying to get a good one of his coloring sucks when he wont stay still lol.

& as you can see, his color changes alot with the flash of the camera & the angle he is at. But he is obviously mainly blue, red & a pinky/purple color with clearish edges around his fins. Idk why he looks so green with the flash?

prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #2 
ravenwinds

Usually it is recommended that the bettas be under 2, sounds right as some are ready at 3mos!
The only problem with pet store fish is you have no family tree so strange things might pop up and a lot of them seem to have poor conformation...body lines.
It is not all about the color but body lines and fins as well. For instance, it is recommended that your breeders are at least half moon because that is what you are aiming for and you'll get more HM in the spawn if you start with fish that have 180degree caudal...so your SDelta will produce few HM babies.
The pink and purple on your gorgeous boy are more than likely derived from blue on top of red since red layer is under blue/green iridescence layer...that is how most if not all "purple/lavender" bettas are made as of now...hard color to come by.

But, in the end, I have to agree with what Sena and Creat have said in similar threads: you have to start somewhere and many breeders probably began with less than perfect fish! In fact, there is no "perfect" fish! It is the enthusiasm you bring. Find the best fish you can, have a goal, and enjoy the process!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #3 
prosthetik

I would like to breed him, I have a female HM on order from one of my local stores. I asked for a green one, but the man said there's no guarantee thats what she will be, they get theirs from a breeder.

I just get a bit hesitant about asking because some people seem to get really snappy on here about people doing "the wrong thing".

Its just something I'd like to try. I've been reading a lot about it, I know everything I need to have [food for the fry seems to be the only thing I cant find locally] - if it works, it works, if it doesnt, its not going to stress me out. Id just simply like to give it ago without people being negative.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pros please no cussing are they pet store bettas? Did you condition them?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #5 
ravenwinds

That's how I feel about it. There is a lot of stressing "the right and only way" around here...in my opinion, betta owners are like any other obsessive pet owner: each one will have a different idea of what's right and that is it.
For awhile, I was one of those "it has to at least 2.5gallons" people...then I began breeding and I ordered a bunch of bettas from thailand, and guess what: I had no space for them and they started being put in vases (good thing my husband buys me a lot of flowers :). At first, the boys in vases were going to be temporary, but as I began moving them around(to spawning tank) I noticed how some really dig being in the vase, feel secure I guess. So, I got larger vases, silk plants, and heaters. I don't feel bad because each fish is different and I place accordingly...Sam, my super red HM, adores his 5gallon tank so much he built a 5x2" bubble nest that is one inch high out of water!
So, I am all for what works for you! I can totally see a green HM female with your boy...he has a really active iridescence layer ( top layer out of 4). If you can't get green from LPS, try aquabid. There are a few USA breeders that have been selling green or platinum juvies...I got the most beautiful true green female HM from one and 3 white platinums with lots of iridescence from another...you can PM me later if interested in their names...don't know off top of my head :)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 
ravenwinds

Choc....pros is waiting for female.
Pros: forgot to tell you...aquabid has many sellers of live food...I recommend banana worms and vinegar eels....fishyy..I believe is his name, sells some really nice grindal and white worm cultures that are huge (you could feed day they get to you!) Your adults should be conditioned..live and/or frozen food works best...had best results with the grindals and white worms...recently had 3 consecutive spawns!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It's a bad idea to breed pet store bettas and you should not order more bettas than you have room for that is hoarding. The administrator said 2.5 gallon minimum.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #8 
prosthetik

I have a 3 gallon tank for the female already & my males all have 5.5 gallon tanks. I have plenty of room for her in my room & plenty of room in one of our spare bedrooms for breeding. I dont hoard, my mother has instilled in me not to do that...

My Betta's all get fed Wardley's Betta Pellets & Blood Worms. I live in Australia so I dont know if I can use that AquaBid site?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure you need a 10 gallon for breeding a lagre tank to hold females tons of containers for males and you should use more protien for breeding.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #10 
prosthetik

Yeah I know I've made a complete list of all the things I require if I decided to breed - its like 2 pages long lol.
Like I said, I would like to, doesnt mean I will though. Im just trying to get all the info I can beforehand.