Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 
ken347

New comer!

alright well i used to be a stalker of this forum and then stopped for a while. i used to have a betta when i was younger and i loved it unfortuantly it died after a few years. i also didnt have the best cage for it a fish bowl( i was only about 8) well today i was in petsmart and saw what i believe to be the most beautiful betta ever it is a bright baby blue half moon betta so of course i bought it since i icouldnt remember the exact mininum for the cage i bought a 1.5 gallon ( hopefully its big enough hes still small) the store reccomended a simple bowl i bought the tetra 1.5 led aquarium with the whisper filter i also bought glofish gravel (glows in dark) also bought two plants one glows in dark. with water conditioner and betta fish its omega one betta buffet the reason im naming everything to make sure its safe i hope i got everything right im also gonna get it something to hide in even though he loves the plant. am i missing anything to get?
ken347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

you're on a good start, especially for someone who had nothing to go on but pet store advice. a few pointers though:

- 1.5 gallons may very well be big enough for him, but if he looks bored or overly lazy, you might want to upgrade him to a 3-5 gallon tank so he has some more swimming room.

- you're gonna need a heater. for an under 5 gallon tank that shouldn't run you any more than $12-15. if you can't find one that'll work for your volume with an adjuster knob, you can hook it up to a dimmer switch and adjust the temperature that way.

-make sure your plants are silk or another fabric, not plastic. especially for heavy-finned breeds like halfmoons, plastic plants can be dangerous since they can tear their delicate fins, which, in addition to being unsightly, can lead to infections for your little guy.

-glofish gravel doesn't glow in the dark, it glows under blue-spectrum LED lights.

other than that, welcome to the wonderful world of betta addiction.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
ken347

ill get a heater tomorrow unless i find my current one and he is very active and exploring his plants seem like silk they dont stand up unless there is water in it and thank you for the tip on the gravel that would explain why the gravel seems like it is glowing when the leds are on i figured they were just good leds
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Great can you post pics he sounds beautiful!!! A heater would top it off great and 1.5 is okay but I personally think they like 5 gals most.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 
ken347

ill probably upgrade his tank later on when he gets a little bigger and ill post pics now just not good ones since he is a little fast for a ipod camera lol
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 
ken347

Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 
ken347

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

he's beautiful...i like that his blue is absolutely solid from scales to fin edges. i missed out on a dragonscale plakat that was that exact shade last weekend :(
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

He is beautiful!! I love him!!!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 
Karebear13

Love his coloring! congrats on your betta! 1.5 should be fine! Just make sure you keep up with water changes! I suggest one 50% midweek and one 100% at the end of the week!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote