Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Still need help with popeye

Yesterday I was searching online for 2 gallon tanks because all I had for Lil Sano was a 1 gallon bowl. Today I had to give him a salt bath.
He is in a salt bath because he has pop-eye. I still need to know what to do for that.
As he was in his salt bath, I was washing his 1 gallon bowl. When I glanced over it looked as if his scales were pine coning. I PANICKED!!! When I panicked, I dropped his bowl and it shattered. I ran to walmart as fast as I could to get a new bowl. I saw that I had enough money to "upgrade." The tank is 1.5 gallons. It came with an air pump and a filter. I got everything set up as quick as possible. The heater he originally had was taken out of the bowl before I washed it so he still has a nice heater. :) He is amazed with the filter right now. I just wanted to share in our happiness. What a blessing in disguise! Oh, it even has a LED light. Are those okay for betta's? Also, if I slice up baby shrimp, is that okay for him to eat?
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenorsaxplayer View Post
Yesterday I was searching online for 2 gallon tanks because all I had for Lil Sano was a 1 gallon bowl. Today I had to give him a salt bath.
He is in a salt bath because he has pop-eye. I still need to know what to do for that.
As he was in his salt bath, I was washing his 1 gallon bowl. When I glanced over it looked as if his scales were pine coning. I PANICKED!!! When I panicked, I dropped his bowl and it shattered. I ran to walmart as fast as I could to get a new bowl. I saw that I had enough money to "upgrade." The tank is 1.5 gallons. It came with an air pump and a filter. I got everything set up as quick as possible. The heater he originally had was taken out of the bowl before I washed it so he still has a nice heater. :) He is amazed with the filter right now. I just wanted to share in our happiness. What a blessing in disguise! Oh, it even has a LED light. Are those okay for betta's? Also, if I slice up baby shrimp, is that okay for him to eat?
I hope the pineconing died down, it could be a sign of dropsy.-- if it went away then it wasn't. Popeye is usually caused by bad water quality so make sure you are performing the right water changes for your betta according to tank size. Here is a helpful link

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Nothing helps a betta more than aq salt, warm and clean clean water
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 
mstenorsaxplayer

He was in a bowl. I cleaned the bowl every other day. I left town and my friend accidently waited to long to clean his bowl. So, normally it is clean. I just got him an actual tank. He seems to love it.
As for the pineconing, i'm not exacly sure what that looks like early.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 
mstenorsaxplayer

pineconing

He was in a bowl. I cleaned the bowl every other day. I left town and my friend accidently waited to long to clean his bowl. So, normally it is clean. I just got him an actual tank. He seems to love it.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 
HarpaBetta

i am so sorry. sadly, i can't give you any advice because i am new to betta care.
HarpaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenorsaxplayer View Post
what is every other day? Appropriate water changes are best for your tank I recommend weekly 50% and 100% changes.

And I've discussed it with a forum member but what your betta has is not popeye but dropsy.

Look for a big belly or grey belly, swollen eyes + pineconing is dropsy.

There is 90-95% chance that a betta dies of dropsy.

Here is a case of someone's betta being cured of dropsy

http://nippyfish.net/2009/09/18/curi...in-betta-fish/

Pictures would help us determine what it has exactly though.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

Pics would be helpful - you can't really say a fish has dropsy by the information given here, especially when the OP stated that he's not even sure what pineconing looks like.

OP, if you can't post a pic then do some google searches for dropsy and popeye and see which it looks like. Dropsy is hard to treat and usually fatal, but popeye can easily be cured with a course of antibiotics.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #8 
mstenorsaxplayer

When he was in his bowl, I did a 100% change every other day.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 
mstenorsaxplayer

I said I am not sure what it looks like early. I know what it looks like when its really bad. BTW, I am a girl. :) I will post some pics now
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
mstenorsaxplayer

pics :)Name:  lil sano new tank 5.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  lil sano new tank 8.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  lil sano new tank 7.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  32.2 KB