Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 
hotrodprincess

tank mates for a 10gal

We upgraded to a 10 gal tank. and I would like to see what the girls options are for tank mates we might like to add something in a couple months. the girls have requested something cool so i was hoping to get some ideas of what and how many we could put in the tank with out over stocking so that the girls could look up there options and learn about them before we went and bought something.

Current live stock: male crown tail betta.

Substrate Black sand.

Decor and live plants: tree made from drift wood and peackck moss. its also got some random rocks with taiwan moss and christmas moss on them. Some dwarf hair grass thats attempting to grow. We also have a marimo ball thats about the size of a golf ball.

Filter We have a aqueon 10 quiteflow filter. which is baffled with a piece of filter sponge stuff that I took off the old filter to help with the beneficial bacteria in the new tank.

Light its a florescent of some sort
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Hmm I may be wrong but you can try 5 or 6 neon tetras? I think so but I am not sure at all.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

What is your water hardness and PH, that can help know what kind of tankmates will thrive in your tank! :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #4 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
What is your water hardness and PH, that can help know what kind of tankmates will thrive in your tank! :)
its been a while since i tested our water hardness it was just above the neutral color on the box but not yet hard. the pet store said it was neutral and good for most any fish
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 
abarj

I came on here (just joined actually) to ask the same question. I also have a 10 gallon with a similar set-up that currently only holds a make betta (Brucie) and would like to add a tankmate. I'm open to an algae eater or snail or some sort. I'm looking forward to more replies from the experts! :)
abarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

I have 5 cardinal tetras in with my betta, and a couple of ghost shrimp...the tank prams have been good so far.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 
Meggie6347

You could always try shrimp, but many, many bettas just see shrimp as a nice little treat so personally, I wouldn't try it. I like my pet shrimp too much

You could try neon tetras I guess, but I think that were I to get neon tetras, I wouldn't want them in anything less than say a 20 gallon long, but that's just me. They are a shoaling fish and I would want to put them in a group of at least maybe 10-12 in a long tank. However, this is just me. I am sure that they would do just fine in smaller groups in a ten gallon So you could always try a small group of those.

A really neat fish you could try is the pygmy cory. They prefer to be in groups of 6+, or so I have heard, but my 3 pygmies seem content in their small group. You do, however, need sand for them. Not sure they would do so well with gravel.

Hmm, what else..It really just depends on the character of your betta. I have seen some really docile bettas with brightly colored, long-finned, active fish, and then I have seen some that will go for anything in sight.

Most of all, just watch out for the nippy species. There are some fish that will actually go after the betta. Some species of tetras, I believe.

If nothing else, you could always go for snails

Good luck! Hope this helped!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote