Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #1 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
bettas jump divider/no fighting at all

. . and don't even fight. Which is great, I was always worried. One day I had filled up too much water in my 10 gallon and that must have allowed the bettas and platies to swim or jump over my dividers. I found all my fish in the wrong sections. My biggest surprise is that I decided to observe them with a net and cup in hand in case anything bad went down. . .. but both my male bettas really did not seem to mind each other at all. I left them there the entire day and not one negative interaction. Seems one guy likes to hang out at the top and another likes the bottom. Thoughts? (before you yell, no fishies were hurt in this situtation)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
. . and don't even fight. Which is great, I was always worried. One day I had filled up too much water in my 10 gallon and that must have allowed the bettas and platies to swim or jump over my dividers. I found all my fish in the wrong sections. My biggest surprise is that I decided to observe them with a net and cup in hand in case anything bad went down. . .. but both my male bettas really did not seem to mind each other at all. I left them there the entire day and not one negative interaction. Seems one guy likes to hang out at the top and another likes the bottom. Thoughts? (before you yell, no fishies were hurt in this situtation)
Yeah, I had my females in and male together, before I could get dividers, they were okay for the first day or so but negativity and territory start to show within around three days or so or even randomly one day. But that's cute :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #3 
polukoff

My fish must hate each other, they always chew each other up a little when they jump the divider.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The platies don't sound colorful keep a sharp eye on them and give plenty of hiding spots if they can live with each other then give them the reward of more room.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #5 
Myates

Platies? Give whom more room to live together? Me confuzzled..

I had one of my females jump the divider into another female's space the other day. My tank is set up with older bettas who are quite large, so they couldn't get through the 1/4 inch gap at the top. Well, needed to toss in one of my new breeding girls in there for a day or two until the new heaters came in... lets just say she is small at 3 months and was able to get over into my older female, Anya's, side. Scared me silly as Anya is very aggressive and over twice Lemondrop's size. Luckily I caught it within a minute as my daughter was watching them and saw what had happened.
Needless to say, Lemondrop is in a kritter keeper now until I get the new breeding barracks set up this week.

It can easily take a while before the fighting begins, but both males are very uncomfortable and stressed (as shown by them staying away from one another), I really wouldn't recommend "experimenting" with that again.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The fish, each were in 5 gallons now they all get 10 gallons but still a little small for platies.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #7 
Myates

Ohhh... for some reason I didn't see the platies in the original statement.. my bad!

So the tank is back to being divided for the bettas?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would not 5 gallons is way to small 10 is still to small but might work.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
The tank was back to being separate but then Pinkerton died, so maybe that is why he wasn't aggressive- he might have been sick or weak all along and I didn't realize it. I don't know what he had but I posted it elsewhere . .. I just hope all my fish aren't going to get whatever he had.

I think I end up killing my fish anyway when they are very sick and I try to save them. I've only saved one sick fish ever. I've lost 4! Not a great average, hopefully I am learning something.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

just by the way my fish acts seeing each other between two layers of glass and 1 inch of space.... I will never put them together... LOL
ao is offline   Reply With Quote