Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 
Greekalphabet

What are the first signs of bloat?

What are the first signs of bloat? Other than lack of appetite and lethargy, please. I can't tell if my fish may be starting to bloat and I'd like to know what to watch for, because he is acting very normally (for him, I suppose. I've only had him for about 2 wks). But it is possible his belly may be getting slightly larger.
I was on another thread that was focused on fish colorization, and a viewer posted a pic of his betta, and another viewer said - "that fish has bloat", and I couldn't tell at all. There was no pine coning (and I understand that is the last stages of bloat), and I didn't think his abdomen looked particularly large to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks to all of you!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 
shellieca

First of all don't get too worked up just yet. Can you post a pic of your Betta? Do you by chance have a pic from when you1st got him? How much are you feeding him & what? What size tank is he in, filtered, heated? Believe it or not it is possible for fish to be overweight. If he's eating normally, active & so on I wouldn't worry at this point.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Often new keepers will confuse a normal full tummy with bloat and treat needlessly. Usually with bloat you will see other signs/symptoms along with the grossly enlarged abdomen. Like, buoyancy issues, clamp fins, hiding, lethargic, stops eating and pooping-remembering that the absents of poop can be due to the Betta eating or destroying it-so the absents of poop alone is not always a good indication. The tummy should look round/full-especially after a meal and its not uncommon for them to scare a new keeper when they see the more round tummy after they have had the Betta for a few days. Often the Betta hasn't had regular meals or even fed while at the fish store and once they start getting regular feeding they will gain weight. Fish are usually fasted for 24-48 hours before they are shipped too-so that they don't foul the water too fast during shipment. With some body forms-especially with the doubletails and crowntails-their tummies can appear more rotund/fuller normally.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 
Greekalphabet

Oh, great! Thanks guys!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote