Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #1 
SilverTail

Is this just fin biting or is it fin rot?

Hello,
This morning when I went to feed my bettas I noticed Skye's tail had basically been destroyed. It wasn't like that yesterday morning at all...

Just want to make sure that it is fin biting and not possibly fin rot.

Don't know if it will help but here is some info:
He is in a 10 gallon section out of a 30 gallon tank; he has 2 other bettas in the tank (in their own section) and 2 panda corey that are sometimes in with him. There is a filter and heater; he is on the opposite side of the tank from the filter because his tail used to be huge. There is 1 plant that I could maybe see catching part of his tail but he never had any issue with it before and had it in there for a week and a half before this happened.

I tried to include some pictures to see if it will help.

This is what his tail looked like yesterday morning. He had a very full tail for a half moon betta and I think it was weighing him down..

This is what his tail looked like this morning... it doesn't seem to be bothering him, he is still swimming around and stuff.

If it is fin biting, is there anything I can do to help him? I read that maybe change things up, so perhaps if I re-arrange the ornaments a bit and put the pandas back in with him? Is there anything else I can do? He always just kinda sat at the top best I could tell.

Thank you for any help.
SilverTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Rearrange ornaments, check filter make sure the current isn't too strong, put aq salt 1 tsp per gallon to prevent further fin rot and keep water clean.

The color has changed quite drastically and the damage is a bit big for 1 night, is it turning silver? Then check for these signs...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 
SilverTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
Rearrange ornaments, check filter make sure the current isn't too strong, put aq salt 1 tsp per gallon to prevent further fin rot and keep water clean.

The color has changed quite drastically and the damage is a bit big for 1 night, is it turning silver? Then check for these signs...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Alright I will try those out and see if I can help him out.

It's not quite as extensive as it appears in the picture, he was swimming rather than flaring so his fins are kinda tucked, just wanted to give the general appearance of it. It doesn't appear to be turning silver, he was in the shadows in the second picture and my flash didn't go off for the camera, but I will double check again to make sure that it isn't that.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 
SilverTail

Just another question if anyone might be able to answer. He is in a tank that is taller than it is wide or long, would it be better for him if I got a tank that was shorter? Like a smaller tank that was shallower so he didn't have to feel the need to tear his fins?

Just wanting to get some thoughts on this.
Thanks for any help!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
SilverTail

So he has done some more chewing by the look of things.. he looks more like a crowntail now >_> I tried shifting a couple of things around in his tank but otherwise didn't do much. Please can someone help..? Would a smaller tank be better or is there something else I can do?

Tags
fin rot betta tail biting