Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 
Artist with a betta

Fin Rot or tail nipping?

Hi I'm a first timer here, so pleases pardon my inexperience. I got my first betta Vincent Van GoFish or just "Vinny" for short from a local pet store my friend recommended after I looked and became highly disgusted at how walmart housed there bettas. I known the pictures kinda blurry because I fail at taking photos with a web cam. He is in a 3 gallon unfiltered tank with an air pump I do two 50% changes and Full change every week,And so after my long introduction i bring up my question. Do you think he has fin rot on his anal fin or had a bout with it previously, or is it just tail biting? The ends of his tail by the way are naturally blue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 11-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 
shellieca

Hard to tell from the pic. Are you seeing improvement? If so I wouldn't worry. It looks like a nip or he got it caught on something, IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Hard to tell from the pic. Are you seeing improvement? If so I wouldn't worry. It looks like a nip or he got it caught on something, IMO.
He isn't acting sick he's actually as happy as can be I was just wondering if that was a earlier bout with fin rot or just a little nip.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #4 
shellieca

Not knowing what it looked like previously its hard to say. It could be the way it's growing back, that spot just hasn't grown all the way back yet. The good thing is he's happy, eating & active.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #5 
soady

No need to worry about that, really. He looks great, and if he is missing a tiny piece of his fin he probably ripped it on a plant or something. Betta fins grow fast so this should grow back in 2-3 days. If it gets worse then it's probably some sort of disease. You should also observe him and make sure that he is not nipping on it's own fins. In my opinion, this is nothing so no worries!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote