Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 
914joe

Bloody fin tip

I posted a thread a couple of days ago because my betta had red streaks in his tail, and then he lost most of the white band on his fin ,when i looked today i saw what to me looks like a blood on the end of his fin ,as you can see in this pic.I don't know if he has ,fin rot maybe septicemia or tail biting. Can some one recommend a med that will take care of everything ,i don't want to use salt or ial leaves ,i believe they are only effective if what ever the problem is,that it is caught early.I already made the mistake of buying betta fix used one dose and was told that this would kill my betta's ,so can some one recommend an all around med because i don't know what he has, i do have marcyn 2 but from what i have read ,if he has septicemia this will do nothing for him.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 
914joe

I just came back from petco they are only a couple of blocks from me,they did not have much of a choice there ,what i found was tetra lifeguard would this stuff be okay to try.I do have a fish store that has a large selection but i would have to drive a bit to get there and since i am in NY i am not willing to waste any gas,the lines for gas are 6 hours + even at 4 in the morning the wait is 4 to 5 hours.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 
happypappy

Really looks like fin rot to me....I have had this on my hm a couple of times. The tail just started looking ragged and slowly started disappearing. I just used api aquarium salt for about 2-3 weeks. His tail has now grown back. The tail can bleed with fin rot. Just try the salt routine. And good luck!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
Wendyjo

Petco no longer sells true meds. You can try what you bought there but if there is a PetSmart in your area they still sell fish meds. I like Jungle Fungus Cure and Tetra Fungus Guard - both are effective antibiotics.

For now do lots of water changes. Salt may or may not help but for now, until you can get some decent meds, it won't hurt. But don't use it with anything else, including the item you bought at Petco.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 
914joe

If i try the salt treatment will it kill the bb ,and i thought you should only keep them in the salt for 10 days.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #6 
914joe

I did not buy it i yet ,i do have a med that is supposed to excellent for fin rot ,what i have is marcyn 2 ,it's just that i thought he might have septicemia ,and from what i read that is an internal problem and that the marcyn2 would not work.I will give the salt a try but i really don't want to kill off the beneficial bacteria,and have to start all over again.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Salt won't kill the bb, fortunately. It looks like he has some fin biting problems. One of my fellows who bites gets those bloody tips after he's through nomming on his fins. Generally, nothing ever comes of it. As long as you keep the water clean, the fins will eventually heal on their own.

However, if you do wish to treat him in prevention of fin rot, Maracyn 2 will work as long as A) you have a pH lower than 7.2 and B) it is not expired. It's very important to never use expired Maracyn 1 or Maracyn 2 as it becomes quite toxic.

If your pH is high, the medicine in Maracyn 2 stops being effective, in which case I would recommend API Tetracycline.

I do think AQ salt for 14 days will be okay but the choice of treatment is always up to you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #8 
914joe

Thank you SaKura8 , i will try AQ salt first as you said for 14 days.He is a 2.5 gallon bare bottom tank with a cycled filter and a heater,if i add 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt a day,do i have to do 100 % water changes a day ,or can i do 50 % a day and just add half the salt 1 1/4 a day .,The PH is about 6.6 i checked the date on the Marcyn 2 just in case i need to use it expires 2014 so it is okay.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You can do just 50% a day or, since it's a 2.5gal, you can do 50% every two to three days.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote