Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Photos to help see if anything is wrong

He has been kinda lethargic lately. He normally sleeps at the top of the tank, but has been sleeping towards the bottom. I was able to get him an actual tank now. It is only 1.5 gallons, but it has an air pump, filter, and I am still using his heater. I gave him about .5 of the recomended dose of Melafix because I thought he had pop-eye. I am not sure though because his eye isn't massive how I see in some example pics I saw the other day. He has had bouts with finrot, ick, fungus, malnutrition, and depression. Since I rescued him these have gone away. His fins are still a bit clamped and his color has not came back completely. I got him about 5 and a half months ago. I use Jungle start right, and Tetra Easybalance in his water. He has 1 plant, sign, and sea shell as decorations. I alternate feeding him BettaMin Tropical Medley, Freezedried bloodworms, and TetraBetta Tropical flakes.
The only recent changes to his environment is his filter and pump. Also he went from a 1 gallon to a 1.5 gallon tank. This was Yesterday.
Attached Images

mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 
mstenorsaxplayer

Oh, and his belly has been a bit bloated lately.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
LizzyP

What's the temp of his tank? How often do you feed him and how much do you feed him each feeding? How many water changes per week and what percentage do you change?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 
mstenorsaxplayer

78 degree f
2x dailey. 3 small flakes or everyonce in a while 1 or 2 freeze dried bloodworms
He was on a 100% change every other day, but now he has an actual tank and filter.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

He still needs water changes even with a tank and filter. When was the last time you did a water change, and how much did you change? Is this tank cycled - how long has it been set up?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #6 
mstenorsaxplayer

He just got the new tank,filter, and air pump yesterday. Because it looks like pop-eye I went ahead and did a 100% change earlier today.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #7 
sainthogan

He looks a lot like mine when she had velvet. Have you looked at him with a flashlight? You'll be looking for gold or rust colored "dust" anywhere on his body, especially around the gills.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #8 
mstenorsaxplayer

I have done the velvet test on him several times in the past 5 months. Each time it looks like he has velvet.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #9 
Wendyjo

Have you treated for velvet?

He does look bloated, and now that I've seen the pics it could be the start of dropsy but it's really hard to say at this point. How long has he been bloated now? In my experience with dropsy it's never taken them long to pinecone.

I can't really see the pop eye in those pics. They may look a little large but it's hard to tell in the pics. I've had one fish with pop eye and her eye was huge and it was very obvious.

If your fish is bloated do not use Aquarium salt, as salt makes tissue retain even more fluid. Some say to use Epsom Salts baths, which are different than Aquarium salt. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic and see how that goes.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #10 
mstenorsaxplayer

He has been bloated for about a week. What medication would you say I should use?
This is scary. Thank you for your help. I am so worried about him.