Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #11 
rubinthebetta

I just did a water change and I'm not gonna add BettaFix unless someone can tell me the truth since there are great things and horrible things being said about it...*is super super confused*
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Well, I would be biased if I told you I did say the truth... What's the harm with not using it? You could always get AQ Salt and treat him.
Wait, then you wasted money. But I am telling the truth!! IME.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 
megaredize

from what ive heard about the bettafix and melafix i would not use it for my fish. there are other ways to treat find rot. if the rot is so bad that salt cannot help then you can use other medications that are safe unlike the bettafix. i just wouldnt take the chance
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #14 
sainthogan

Just for fun, I decided to email the company to get their thoughts on it. Yes, I'm sure that they will be biased, but I stated that I had heard from multiple sources that any kind of tea tree oil (including the kind they use in their product) can coat the labyrinth lung and cause the fish to suffocate and that I would like to hear their thoughts on the matter. So, I'll let you all know what they say.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #15 
sainthogan

This is the reply I got from the company:

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.
Sara as you surmised, this is simply a story that somehow “got legs,” with no real basis in fact. Melafix was, and is tested with labyrinth fish on a frequent basis, not only on the common species in the trade, but also less common varieties like chocolate gouramies and various wild bettas. I’ll ignore the thousands of consumers who use it successfully with labyrinth fishes of all kinds every year. Actually, I won’t completely: One of the most popular betta remedies out there, Bettafix, IS Melafix, merely in a more dilute form to make dosing simpler for smaller aquariums (though the final therapeutic concentration is the same as for Melafix).
I suspect the story developed when one hobbyist jumped to a conclusion after losing fish following treatment with Melafix (the fish was likely too far gone, or, as often happens, the fish had some illness that Melafix will not treat, like ich), and posted his or her experience online. Someone else saw that post, and “confirmation bias” took its inexorable course. But we can assure you, and any other hobbyists out there, that Melafix is quite safe for any labyrinth fish, be they bettas, gouramies, climbing perches, bushfish, or anything else.
If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.
Best Regards,
Nathan Fekula
Technical Service and Research
Mars Fishcare

Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 
rubinthebetta

Thanks for asking the company, sainthogan! I have heard a lot bad things about it (BettaFix), so I got aquarium salt today, but forgot to pick up a heater for Maggie. *sigh* I'll get it next time I'm in the area. Anyway, I tested a bit of aquarium salt in a cup of water to see how fast it dissolved...it took about 10 minutes or less. I really hope the salt helps her fins...oh, and I looked on the box of aquarium salt and apparently it relieves the fish's stress! Thats great because I honestly don't want Maggie to be stressed all the time, like she is now. My water conditioner for Maggie has tannin, and that is supposed to help her fins...I hope it works! Megaredize, she has a very mild case of fin rot, but I'm just being careful as this is my first time treating fin rot...

Last edited by rubinthebetta; 11-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #17 
rubinthebetta

I'm really happy right now! Maggie is mostly gray but I'm starting to see a really pretty blue on her.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #18 
sainthogan

sounds like she's getting better :)
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #19 
rubinthebetta

Yep!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #20 
rubinthebetta

Maggie's looking really good! I'll try to get pics.

Tags
maggie, my first rescue, rescue, rescue betta