Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 
amazonbaby98

New Betta Owner

Hello everyone!

I am a new fish owner. I would say just Betta owner, but honestly, I've never had any other fish in my life. I chose a Betta because they are so pretty and from what I had heard and experienced (from family and friends), they are relatively low maintenance.

So first I have a sad story, my first betta that I got died the day after I got him. Someone that I worked with didn't want him anymore, so since I already had my tank prepared for a new fish, I said I would take him. They said they didn't like him (I have yet to figure out how you "don't like" a fish). He was in a small, dirty, cold plastic tank. I took about 5 hours transitioning him over to the tank in my room. He seemed to be OK that night, maybe a little lethargic, but when I woke up the next morning, he was acting a little strange. He would swim up really fast to the top of the tank, then sink down vertically (tail first). At the bottom of the tank, he would lay on his left side. I checked the water temp (about 78), and the pH (about 7.5 - a little high I guess). He kept going up, then one time, he did a nose dive to the bottom of the tank. I freaked out. Unfortunately, I had a Dr appt and couldn't stay to check on him. When I came back from the appointment, he was dead. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if maybe he was already sick when I got him. I was incredibly upset.

So, I changed out all the water in my tank and this time I used bottled water (because the tap water here is disgusting and thought that might have contributed to him dying - even though I had treated the water). Once again, I got the temp to 78 and the pH between 6.5-7.0. I now have a new Betta. I have yet to name him because I want to make sure he does OK and so I can get a good idea of his personality. He made the transition well (this time I took 8 hours to transition him to the tank). He ate right away and was exploring his new tank the first day. Yesterday, he didn't seem quite as active, but still ate just fine. Now today, he swims around a little but didn't eat this evening. I am trying really hard not to freak out. So I have a few questions:

1. He seems to love hanging out near the top of the water on a plant. I know they need to breathe from the air and they are generally "lazy" fish, but is it normal that they do it a lot?
2. Should I be concerned if he doesn't eat at every single meal I give him?
3. I tried putting a mirror in front of him to see if he would react and he didn't. Is it because he doesn't care or because he doesn't feel good?

I know these are probably stupid questions to most of you, but I've spent hours doing research and took weeks making sure that everything was perfect for my new tank, only to have my first fish die. If I'm doing something wrong, I need to know. I don't want to be the cause of some poor fishes demise because I'm making a novice mistake. PLEASE HELP!!
amazonbaby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas are very active fish and if you are feeding right food like pellets, live food, thawed frozen food, and freezedried food they should try and eat it all. as surface fish they spend most of the time near the surface but as Bettas they explore everything. I would not reccomend the mirrir method. How big is the tank? Does it have a heater? Are there decorations? Is there a filter? What and how much are you feeding him?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 
shellieca

What size tank do you have him in & was it properly cycled? You've mentioned Ph but I didn't see the results for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. I would suggest a liquid test kit & to test for these. Bottled water, from what I understand, doesn't have all the nutrients needed so you may want to rethink that, plus it could get expensive based on your tank size. If the tank hasn't been properly cycled you'll want to test the water daily & do frequent water changes based on test results. Sometimes it takes them a few days to settle in. As for feeding, what are you feeding & how often? Mine get 2-3 pellets once a day 5 days a week, frozen food one day & fasted one day. Some Bettas can be picky so he may not like what you're feeding. You can fast him a day or 2 with no problem & then see if he'll eat.

Last edited by shellieca; 11-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree we need more info.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 
amazonbaby98

OK, let's see.

His tank is cylindrical, 3 gallons with an undergravel filter. The tank came with an airstone and pump but I decided against using it. I feed him 2-3 pellets morning and night of Aqueon Betta Food. I have bloodworms but I was only going to give those once a week. I wanted to wait for those so I don't jack up his stomach by giving him too much when he is stressed out. As for the other tests, I haven't been able to find any of those test kits. I know a lot of places sell them online, but they won't ship to where I am. It's very frustrating. I'm trying to the best that I can without all the resources that I could have in America. As for the cycling, I'm not exactly sure what that means.

As far as decorations go, I have a small statue thing (about 6 in) and a tall silk plant (about 12 in). I cut two of the fronds on the plant so that he would be able to rest of them and hang out at the top of the water and that is where he has spent most of his time the last few days. I have a heater with the water at 78 and a thermometer. The first day, it looked like he was trying to pick a fight with heater, it was pretty funny. I think I answered all of the questions.

Are they anything like us with lighting? Does it affect their sleep schedule? I've had to work 12 hour shifts the past couple days, so I haven't seen him during the day, but I try to leave my blinds open so he can get some indirect sunlight.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard undergravel filters encourage fin rot.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #7 
sainthogan

I would say that Bettas are "lazy" if they are sick or in a tank that is too small for them. If his small tank was dirty and cold before you got him, I would venture to say that he is either sick or stressed. If he is stressed, you're going to need to give him time to adjust to his healthier surroundings. If he's sick, you're going to need to determine what he has and then what treatment to go with. Clean, warm water is the best way to start the healing process. Here is a very helpful link on this form on how many water changes you should do based on what size your tank is: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
But remember a sick fish will need more than the recommended water changes to help with recovery.

Oh, and P.S. Bettas really aren't that low maintenance, they are just marketed that way. But with the right care, they can be a very rewarding pet, they are much more interactive than other fish, and respond very well to humans.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #8 
amazonbaby98

Well with most fish, I know that they thrive when they are more taken care of. But for example, my mom has a Betta in a vase. No plants, heater, etc and he's been around for years. And the fish that is in my aquarium is a new one. The one from the nasty tank died the next day. I've been watching mine so far today and he went and ate when I fed him. He will randomly do a lap or two around his tank, then go back to the plant. I had planned on doing a partial water change today.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas are easy to care for but not as easy as everyone thinks. How long is years?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #10 
sainthogan

Mine is constantly on the move, except when she's sick. She has a 5 gallon tank. Sometimes, she'll stop and "hover" in the water, or go into her pineapple home or lay on top of her plant bulb to rest, but most of the time, she's swimming around. In fact, I hardly ever see her resting. And when she sees me come near her tank, she starts swimming excitedly.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote